branche parallèle

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Nunty, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Same text, new chapter:

En 1982 le SBF fut reconnu comme une branche parallèle de la faculté de théologie du Pontificium Athenaeum Antonianum de Rome...

I have no idea what une branche parallèle might be or how to translate it. :confused: <blush>

Thanks again, and stay tuned for another query from the same sentence.

2. frenchaudrey Senior Member

Lyon
    French, France
    Hi

In a trade context, a "branche" is a "branch", a kind of "subsidiary", and "parallèle" means that they exist simultaneously. The same thinking can be applied here I think.

Hope that helps :)

3. hibouette Senior Member

France and French
    branche = branch, specialized area

parralèle = something that is very similar to another, sharing many characteristics

It means that the SBF was then considered like a part of the faculty. SBF doesn't really belong to the faculty but is related to it.

hope it helps !

4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Is there an English term for that? Or can I just say something like "... was recognized as an associated faculty of the PAA"?

5. frenchaudrey Senior Member

Lyon
    French, France
    I think I'd say something like "wing" or "parallel wing".... but since I'm not a Native, you should wait for further answers :)

6. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    I don't think I can say "wing" because one is in Rome and the other in Jerualem! I guess I will wait and see what the native speakers say.;)

7. pdmx Senior Member

French, France
    Hi

To me it sounds more like two organisations with the same 'trunk' (=origin) and growing in same direction or with same objectives.

Also I think it means they were recognized as working in the same direction, ie not opposed one to another.

Since I'm not a native I'll let you come up with the most appropriate English.

Bye