Branding

< Previous | Next >
  • As you know, "branding" is a marketing "buzz word" in AE. Like many such words, it is grammatically crazy -- a noun made into a verb then gerundized to make it back into a noun. It means "the use of marketing techniques to establish an image, set of expectations and reputation for a product or service." Italian wisely does not have a one-word term for this abstruse concept.

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    carrickp said:
    As you know, "branding" is a marketing "buzz word" in AE. Like many such words, it is grammatically crazy -- a noun made into a verb then gerundized to make it back into a noun. It means "the use of marketing techniques to establish an image, set of expectations and reputation for a product or service." Italian wisely does not have a one-word term for this abstruse concept.
    This is even confusing to me, and I speak English! Can you give us some specific examples of "branding" and "brand-mark" to help both Italian AND English speakers?:confused:

Is Coca Cola a "brand" and a "brank-mark"?
    Is the mark the "stamp" or "picture" (sign) of Coca Cola that we see throughout the world?

I ask because you are clearly an expert in this area.
    Thanks
    Tim

< Previous | Next >