brand's video game

< Previous | Next >

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hello, everyone

Let's say I want to buy a new video game console and I am torn between a Playstation and a Xbox. So I want to know which brand he prefers. Could I ask the following?

"Which brand's video game do you like best: playstation or xbox?"

Would it be incorrect to say "brand's video game?

Thank you

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, it would be incorrect. You could say "which brand of video game".
    But it would be more natural to omit both "brand" and "video game", and just to ask "Which do you like best, Playstation or Xbox?"

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yes, it would be incorrect. You could say "which brand of video game".
    But it would be more natural to omit both "brand" and "video game", and just to ask "Which do you like best, Playstation or Xbox?"
    In another post, I learned that you can say "Which color car do you like best?" , when you are asking between two Ferraris, for example, a blue one and a red one.

I've also learned that you can use that structure with countries , like: Which country's flag is red, white and green?"

Why can't I use this structure with "brand's video game"?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The video game is produced by a manufacturer, not by a brand. In a sense the game is a brand, not owned by a brand.
    It would be almost as if you wanted to say "which colour's car". OK, the correspondence is not exact, but it may help you think about it.
    "Which country's flag" is normal because we think of the flag "belonging" to the country.

Oddmania

French
    Hi,

As pointed out by Endinburgher, the word brand is uncommon in this context.

Which (console) maker do you like best: Sony or Microsoft?
    Which systems / (game) consoles do you like best: Playstations or Xboxes?
    (because they've released several Playstations and Xboxes).
    Which system / (game) console do you like best: this specific Playstation (PS3, PS4, etc) or this specific Xbox (Xbox 360, Xbox One, etc.)?
    PS: Only video game consoles are produced by manufacturers. Video games are developed by developers / game studios.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Hi,

As pointed out by Endinburgher, the word brand is uncommon in this context.

Which (console) maker do you like best: Sony or Microsoft?
    Which systems / (game) consoles do you like best: Playstations or Xboxes?
    (because they've released several Playstations and Xboxes).
    Which system / (game) console do you like best: this specific Playstation (PS3, PS4, etc) or this specific Xbox (Xbox 360, Xbox One, etc.)?
    PS: Only video game consoles are produced by manufacturers. Video games are developed by developers / game studios.
    The video game is produced by a manufacturer, not by a brand. In a sense the game is a brand, not owned by a brand.
    It would be almost as if you wanted to say "which colour's car". OK, the correspondence is not exact, but it may help you think about it.
    "Which country's flag" is normal because we think of the flag "belonging" to the country.
    And "Which maker's video game do you like best?"???

Truffula

English - USA
    If I was in a dialog like this, it would seem natural to me:

Person A: "I want a console, but I'm not sure which brand to get, Playstation or Xbox."
    Person B: "Which brand's video games do you like better?"

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    None of them. I don't play video games.:D

That would be OK, but I think I'd prefer "Whose" to "Which maker's"
    If I was in a dialog like this, it would seem natural to me:

Person A: "I want a console, but I'm not sure which brand to get, Playstation or Xbox."
    Person B: "Which brand's video games do you like better?"

Let me try with other nouns. If I am, for example, talking about a player of a team, and I want to know player of what team is the most expensive these days. If I want to put together a sentence with the words "team" and "player", could I say "What team's player is the most expensive nowdays?" or "player of which team is the most expensive nowdays?" Do any of these two sentences work?

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >