brazing / soldering / joining? [material science]

< Previous | Next >

王翔

Chinese
I plan to write an English paper on my experiment. In my experiment I joined C/C composite and Ni-based superalloy with BNi2,
and I am confused that which word between brazing ..... and soldering ..... or welding (I think it's obviously wrong)..... or just joining is more suitable?

By the way, is any friend studying in material science? If there is, could be as my recommended peer reviewer, anyone will be appreciated.

• sdgraham

USA English
    I plan to write an English paper on my experiment. In my experiment I joined C/C composite and Ni-based superalloy with BNi2,
    and I am confused that which word between brazing ..... and soldering ..... or welding (I think it's obviously wrong)..... or just joining is more suitable?
    1. What do you mean by C/C composite?
    2. What is BNi2?
    3. Was anything melted?
    4. If so, what?

The definitions here for braze and solder are quite good. The weld definition is totally inadequate since "welding" these days usually involves partial melting of the materials to be joined as well as the filler material.

Last edited:

王翔

Chinese
    1. What do you mean by C/C composite?
    2. What is BNi2?
    3. Was anything melted?
    4. If so, what?

The definitions here for braze and solder are quite good. The weld definition is totally inadequate since "welding" these days usually involves partial melting of the materials to be joined as well as the filler material.
    1.C/C is shorted for carbon-carbon composite.
    2.BNi2 is a kind of filler which is used to melted and joined C/C to superalloy.
    3.In the experiment, just BNi2 melted and the other two materials keep solid shape.

Thanks your patient answer.

Packard

USA, English
    I think the word you want is "bonding". Brazing has traditionally meant to join two pieces of metal using another metal which is melted and joins the two pieces of metal by capillary action. It is similar to solder, but instead of lead/tin alloy it is typically a brass alloy.

Traditional bicycle construction used "lugs" in which tubing was placed and then the lug was fused to the tubing by brazing.

My high-end Italian racing bicycle in the 1980s was constructed using "low temperature silver brazing". This was done to avoid annealing the tubing as might occur at the higher temperatures involved with standard brazing. Brazing is very strong in shear; not too strong in tensile. Solder is similar in that sense, just not as strong as brazing.

Unless you are melting metal into the joint between the carbon-carbon composite and the and the nickel based super alloy, then "brazing" is not appropriate in my experience. I would use "bonding" if there was an adhesive being used, or "fusing" if the bond was of a sacrificial nature.

We use both TIG and plasma welding in our business. No welding rod is used, only the pieces to be joined are heated to melting temperature and then held together to fuse. This type of fusing is "sacrificial fusing". If welding rod, or brazing rod or solder is used for the fusing then it would not be sacrificial.

王翔

Chinese
    I think the word you want is "bonding". Brazing has traditionally meant to join two pieces of metal using another metal which is melted and joins the two pieces of metal by capillary action. It is similar to solder, but instead of lead/tin alloy it is typically a brass alloy.

Traditional bicycle construction used "lugs" in which tubing was placed and then the lug was fused to the tubing by brazing.

My high-end Italian racing bicycle in the 1980s was constructed using "low temperature silver brazing". This was done to avoid annealing the tubing as might occur at the higher temperatures involved with standard brazing. Brazing is very strong in shear; not too strong in tensile. Solder is similar in that sense, just not as strong as brazing.

Unless you are melting metal into the joint between the carbon-carbon composite and the and the nickel based super alloy, then "brazing" is not appropriate in my experience. I would use "bonding" if there was an adhesive being used, or "fusing" if the bond was of a sacrificial nature.

We use both TIG and plasma welding in our business. No welding rod is used, only the pieces to be joined are heated to melting temperature and then held together to fuse. This type of fusing is "sacrificial fusing". If welding rod, or brazing rod or solder is used for the fusing then it would not be sacrificial.
    Now,I know more about this aspect from your richful answer. I think I should take brazing, because in my experience, the material BNi2 was melted at the tempreture 960 ℃. Thanks very much.

< Previous | Next >