Bread and butter is all we have for now.

< Previous | Next >

Kobe Bryant

Korean - Korea
My textbook says that "Bread and butter is all we have for now." is a grammattically correct sentence, but I don't get it.

Shouldn't it be "Bread and butter are all we have for now"?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'Bread and butter' means buttered bread (ie slices of bread with butter spread on the slices), and so that is thought of as one thing.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Macaroni and cheese is delicious.
    Interestingly, that is called macaroni cheese in BrE (no 'and'). Perhaps one that is known in all the English-speaking world is 'fish and chips' and that is singular despite the plural chips because it's a single dish. ('Fish and chips is always a treat.')

Kobe Bryant

Korean - Korea
    Interestingly, that is called macaroni cheese in BrE (no 'and'). Perhaps one that is known in all the English-speaking world is 'fish and chips' and that is singular despite the plural chips because it's a single dish. ('Fish and chips is always a treat.')
    Thank you, natkretep.
    It's very interesting!

Except maybe in the U.S. :) American Q and A websites are filled with questions of "what is fish and chips, what is fish and chips???" because they've seen the term and want clarification. There are foodie articles dedicated just to this subject. I assume it's because many don't understand that "chips" in BE are fried potatoes, not AE "potato chips." Even in areas where eating places have opened recently offering this specialty, explanatory articles in newspapers inevitably have to be published for the general public.

< Previous | Next >