Bread and butter...

< Previous | Next >

Anaelle10

French
Hi, I'm Anaelle from mauritius and normally I speak French.I'm 10 years old. I've got a homework and I really do not know what words to use. I've tried a dictionary but still I can't find the right answer. Its about completing some word with another word like "weak and feeble" " bread and butter" rapid and............?? pretty and ..................?? modern and...................?? broad and ...............?? powerful and .....................?? glad and..................?? small and .................?? hard and ...............?? stupid and ................ ?? please can someone help me?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Anaelle,

We don't do people's homework for them, but we can help with homework if people make their own try first. Usually, we would want only one of these pairs to a thread, but let's start by seeing how many of these you already know or have an idea about. Then we'll figure out what to do next.

rapid and............??
    pretty and ..................??
    modern and...................??
    broad and ...............??
    powerful and .....................??
    glad and..................??
    small and .................??
    hard and ...............??
    stupid and ................ ??

Anaelle10

French
    Hello Anaelle,

We don't do people's homework for them, but we can help with homework if people make their own try first. Usually, we would want only one of these pairs to a thread, but let's start by seeing how many of these you already know or have an idea about. Then we'll figure out what to do next.

rapid and............??
    pretty and ..................??
    modern and...................??
    broad and ...............??
    powerful and .....................??
    glad and..................??
    small and .................??
    hard and ...............??
    stupid and ................ ??

Anaelle10

French
    Good day Cagey. Of course I do not want someone to do my homework but I'm only looking for the right word. I have tried but I'm not sure if it is okay. rapid and fast, pretty and beautiful, modern and new, broad and large, powerful and strong, glad and happy, small and little, hard and difficult,stupid and idiot...

suzi br

English / England
    Your English is really great for a ten year old, but your homework defeats me. I honestly cannot think of regular idioms for most these, certainly not as well known as bread and butter. I think the task is flawed.

We do say hard and fast.
    That is the only one which comes to my mind!
    Unless other people know other regular pairs I think your own answer ideas are good.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with suzybr, and the only pair that occurred to me was 'hard and fast', too.

I would hope that they gave you some source for these.
    The pairs you have thought of are words that have related meanings, if that is what they want.

boozer

Bulgarian
    ... I will see what the teacher says!
    And please post it here so we can marvel at it. :) I also agree with Suzi - a 'hard and fast' rule was the only thing I could come up with. The rest are, to me, a loose collection of adjectives that can be combined with any other adjectives...

I also agree that your English is excellent - you must be a gifted child. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >