English to Portuguese breadcrumb

Dictionary entry: breadcrumb

Nanon

français (France)
breadcrumbs npl(coating: crumbs of bread)empanado adj
I prefer fish in breadcrumbs to battered fish.
Gostaria de sugerir pão ralado (PT) e farinha de rosca (BR).

• DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In other words, "empanado" translates "in breadcrumbs", but we don't know how to translate "breadcrumbs" on its own.

Nanon

français (France)
    In other words, "empanado" translates "in breadcrumbs", but we don't know how to translate "breadcrumbs" on its own.
    That's the point - to translate breadcrumbs on its own (missing sense), I suggested two translations: one is used in Brazilian Portuguese and the other one is used in European & African Portuguese.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    I had understood, Nanon ;) I just rephrased what you said (hence "in other words").

MeggieBR

Dictionary Editor
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Breadcrumb (alone) is already translated as migalha de pão/farinha de rosca (Bra) and pão ralado (Por). The terms suggested are already edited but they will appear in the dictionary when it´s next updated and this may take a while.
    Thanks!

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    Dictionary Editor
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Ok, so if I follow you, this sentence would be translated as (with DeepL's help, as I don't speak Portuguese):
    ‘Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and breadcrumbs and cook, stirring all the time, until golden.’
    ‘Entretanto, aqueça o óleo numa frigideira, junte o alho e o empanado e cozinhe, mexendo sempre, até dourar".’

(in French, "breadcrumbs" (= "panure, chapelure") has a different translation than the translation of "breadcrumb" (= "miette") in the plural, so it is a good thing that there is an additional sense for this)

Nanon

français (France)
    @DearPrudence, not exactly: you would typically use pão ralado or farinha da rosca in your sentence, given that you are talking about an ingredient that you are adding, not necessarily to cover something in breadcrumbs but to add to a mixture or to replace grated cheese or... (sorry, if I remember well, you are not a big cooking fan :oops:).

@MeggieBR, maybe we should also add panado for Portugal: cf. panado ou empanado and empanado - Dicionário Priberam, Dicionário Online de Português Contemporâneo (3)