break down a sentence grammatically

• rich7

Venezuela español
    It is not exactly the word I'm looking for, but still it is great help thanks.

Anybody who can chip in with the other word?

french4beth

US-English
    rich7 said:
    It is not exactly the word I'm looking for, but still it is great help thanks.

Anybody who can chip in with the other word?
    Did you check the link that I provided above?
    Here's their definition of 'diagramming a sentence':
    analyzing a sentence and portraying its structure with a consistent visual scheme can be helpful

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    "Parse" a sentence was what my old English teacher (Mr O'Connell, known to all and sundry as "Lib"!) used to call it.

(The Irish on the forum will probably understand why a Mr O'Connell was nikc-named "Lib".) ;)

rich7

Venezuela español
    That's it, I knew somone would help me here.
    Thanks a ton Maxiogee you're an angel, by the way I wish I were Irish¡¡¡

DavyBCN

UK - English
    maxiogee said:
    "Parse" a sentence was what my old English teacher (Mr O'Connell, known to all and sundry as "Lib"!) used to call it.

(The Irish on the forum will probably understand why a Mr O'Connell was nikc-named "Lib".) ;)
    Parse! of course. How could I ever forget the word which (second only to "decline" in Latin classes) made be shiver with fear at school.

se16teddy

English - England
    maxiogee said:
    I thought that 'parsing' was different, namely identifying the role of a particular word in a sentence, and explaining how its form fits that role, rather than explaining the structure of a sentence. Certainly that was how I was trained to parse Latin words!

< Previous | Next >