Break down by unit of meaning

nagomi

Korean
When you learn a foreign language, it's convenient to break sentences down into smaller components. I would call it "to break it down by unit of meaning", but I'm not sure with "unit of meaning" part.

Does it make sense? I tried to mean to break a sentence down with a criterion that the smallest bunch of words that forms a meaning is one unit. ie) I / brought / lunch / for you.

• nagomi

Korean
    "... to break it down by unit into units of meaning"
    I found this:

"When we break the data down by race, we find very stark differences, in particular between black and white men growing up in a given neighborhood."

It seems "by race" works. Why can't "unit of meaning" do? I wouldn't insist using it, but need to know the reason, if anything, in order to be able to handle similar cases next time.

Andygc

British English
    Why can't "unit of meaning" do?
    It can. There's a slight difference in meaning.
    ... by unit of meaning ... The method you are using - not by word, phrase, clause, but by unit of meaning.
    ... into units of meaning ... The result of the breaking down is a collection of units of meaning

nagomi

Korean
    It can. There's a slight difference in meaning.
    ... by unit of meaning ... The method you are using - not by word, phrase, clause, but by unit of meaning.
    ... into units of meaning ... The result of the breaking down is a collection of units of meaning
    Thank you, I would need to re-think about what I tried to mean exactly. But in this case (really after some thoughts for a while I'm typing), it practically mean the same. I needed this though.

< Previous | Next >