break off v. discontinue v. interrupt

hhtt

Turkish
"My studies were interrupted because of German annexation of my city. When German soldiers entered my house, they startled, then their commander put me into the jail. Two years later I succeed to run away from the jail. I set sailed to the United States and totally three years later I restarted my interrupted studies after
the annexation."

For the above, which of the followings are correct, idiomatic and in the same meaning as the original?

1) "My studies were broken off because of German annexation of my city. ..."

2) "My studies were dicontinued because of German annexation my city. ... "

The important part is whether or not we would use break off and discontinue instead of interrupt here.

Source: Self-made

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • hhtt

Turkish
    What is the source? There are several errors that wouldn't be made by a native English writer.
    I formed the context in my mind (self-made), I just use some others for Word meaning. And would you like to correct some of the mistakes?

Thank you.

Copyright

American English
    Interrupted suggests that there was a break, but then his studies resumed (as the text says).

I generally expect "break off" or "discontinue" to be used if he did not resume his studies.

hhtt

Turkish
    If it was not state in the text that he started his studies again, would interrupt itself imply that his studies started again?

Thank you.

heypresto

English - England
    I agree with Copyright that 'interrupted' implies a break after which his studies started again. And yes, this would still be the implication if it wasn't actually stated in the text.

hhtt

Turkish
    I think we could say "My studies were hindered because of German annexation ..."

What do you think?

Thank you.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >