"breaking apart" of a cup of yogurt

< Previous | Next >

kostasdhm

Greece, Greek
Hi I am looking for the right verb to describe (in casual, spoken language) the following event:

A cup of yogurt (plastic container) filled with yogurt and un-opened falls from a height of about 2 meters on a hard surface. The thin plastic container is split open (by the pressure of the yogurt inside it) and much of the yogurt is now spilled over the floor.

Q1. What's the verb that describes what happened to the cup? Did it "break", "break open", "split open", "exploded"? I suppose it should be the same verb that describes what happens when a pumpkin or watermelon falls and breaks apart. Ideally I am looking for a verb that carries the right nuance of breaking apart, making a thumping, thudding sound and having its entrails spilled out.

Q2. What's the verb that describes what happened to the yogurt? Was it "spilled on the floor", "spread all over the place", "spurted out of the cup"?

• JamesM

I'd say that the cup of yogurt (or yoghurt) "burst open" or "burst." "Exploded" works, too, in casual speech as a slight exaggeration. :) If you're looking for a particular sound, you could use the sound as the verb, as in "splatted" or "thumped". (It's hard to imagine a yogurt container that only holds a cup making a thumping or thudding sound. Those are deep, low sounds.) "Splatting" is a wet slapping sound such as a tomato would make as it struck something.

You might think of using "spewing" as the verb for what happened to the yogurt. Some people might find it a little too graphic but I think it's at least one step down from "vomiting". :)

In other words:

The yogurt cup fell from the top of the refrigerator and splatted on the tiles, spewing yogurt all over the kitchen.

coiffe

USA
    American English
    Hi I am looking for the right verb to describe (in casual, spoken language) the following event:

A cup of yogurt (plastic container) filled with yogurt and un-opened falls from a height of about 2 meters on a hard surface. The thin plastic container is split open (by the pressure of the yogurt inside it) and much of the yogurt is now spilled over the floor.

Q1. What's the verb that describes what happened to the cup? Did it "break", "break open", "split open", "exploded"? I suppose it should be the same verb that describes what happens when a pumpkin or watermelon falls and breaks apart. Ideally I am looking for a verb that carries the right nuance of breaking apart, making a thumping, thudding sound and having its entrails spilled out.

Q2. What's the verb that describes what happened to the yogurt? Was it "spilled on the floor", "spread all over the place", "spurted out of the cup"?
    I agree with James, but probably most commonly would say "The container exploded and the yogurt went (spewed, splashed, splatted) everywhere (all over the place)."

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English

As to Q1, I dislike being contrarian, but I would not use "exploded". "Exploded" is more often used when pressure inside an object can no longer be contained by the object. When a cup of yogurt falls, you can say it "broke open", or "split open."

"As it hit the floor, the cup of yogurt broke open with a splat, spilling its contents."

JamesM

As to Q1, I dislike being contrarian, but I would not use "exploded". "Exploded" is more often used when pressure inside an object can no longer be contained by the object. When a cup of yogurt falls, you can say it "broke open", or "split open."

"As it hit the floor, the cup of yogurt broke open with a splat, spilling its contents."
    I think it depends on the result. If the yogurt stayed pretty much in one place on the floor, "broke open" or "split open" and "spilling" make sense to me.

However, having seen one result of such a catastrophic drop (not to say that I'm the clumsy one to have caused it, even if I am), I'd have to say that the yoghurt shrapnel sprayed on everything and everyone within a five-foot radius would qualify as the aftermath of an explosion. It did not gently "spill" out of the container, in my experience. :)

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English
    However, having seen one result of such a catastrophic drop (not to say that I'm the clumsy one to have caused it, even if I am), I'd have to say that the yoghurt shrapnel sprayed on everything and everyone within a five-foot radius would qualify as the aftermath of an explosion. It did not gently "spill" out of the container, in my experience. :)
    Completely off topic, but I once returned to my minivan in a supermarket parking lot, only to find one entire side of it splattered with what I thought was white paint! The car's true color was hardly visible! Upon further investigation, I noticed a broken quart container of kefir, that someone had run over with their car about 15 feet away. Needless to say, I'm familiar with the results of such mishaps! :)

JamesM

Completely off topic, but I once returned to my minivan in a supermarket parking lot, only to find one entire side of it splattered with what I thought was white paint! The car's true color was hardly visible! Upon further investigation, I noticed a broken quart container of kefir, that someone had run over with their car about 15 feet away. Needless to say, I'm familiar with the results of such mishaps! :)
    I'd say "exploded" would fit in that case, too. :) At least it would be more appropriate than "spiilled". The kefir didn't spill 15 feet.... upwards. :)

< Previous | Next >