breaking apart

< Previous | Next >
Hello my friends

I am reading a book about personal histories and i have found out the following:

"Outwardly my face registered nothing; inwardly, sadness fell in torrents. What at the time I believed to be a breaking apart, I would subsequently come to see as a breaking through."

What does "breaking apart" and "breaking through" mean in this sentence?

Is it right to begin with "What" and to end wihout the question mark?

I was looking for "breaking apart" but i can not find out something.

I was looking for "breaking through" and I found out that "break through" means "to penetrate" or "to achieve success, make a discovery, etc, esp after lengthy efforts" but i do not know the nuance between "breaking through" and "break through" in this case.

I hope you understand my question. I apologize for my poor english but my native language is the spanish.

Regards from Medellin, Colombia.

Juan Pablo.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Unfortunately, there is not enough context to give you a complete answer: why is the person saying this, and what causes him to say it?

"breaking apart" is a noun phrase.
    "What, at the time, I believed to be a breaking apart," is correct, but it needs the commas.

Crossposted

Hello Florentia52 and PaulQ,

Thanks very much for your answer.

It is a personal history about an in recovery sex addict; The source is the "Sex Addicts Anonymous Basic Text". This is the same sentence with more text before and later:

"<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)-----> However, inside of me a storm brewed. <...> Outwardly my face registered nothing; inwardly, sadness fell in torrents. What at the time I believed to be a breaking apart, I would subsequently come to see as a breaking through. The lightning jolts of terror I registered then, I would come to understand as Higher Power surges shocking my heart back to life."

Have a nice day.

Juan Pablo

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "breaking apart" = a nervous/mental breakdown. The phrase describes the way that a person's mind/character can break as a result of such an event.

< Previous | Next >