Breaking Bad

< Previous | Next >

Flawer

Spanish
I'd like to know what's the meaning of this phrase, "breaking bad", as in the name of the new AXN series. I can't find a meaning for it. Thank you!

• iskndarbey

US, English
    S/he did give context, it's the name of a TV show. According to Wikipedia:

Lead actor Bryan Cranston stated in an interview that "the term 'breaking bad' is a southern colloquialism and it means when someone who has taken a turn off the path of the straight and narrow, when they've gone wrong. And that could be for that day or for a lifetime."

iskndarbey

US, English
    "Breaking Bad" is the name of the series. It is apparently carried on AXN, which is a cable network in most of the world (but not the United States).

Flawer

Spanish
    Thank you Iskndarbey, you helped me clarify the idea. I think that by watching the series I could understand it better. I found something in Wikipedia too (which is a widely known encyclopedia in the whole world)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    A double meaning may be intended, too, since "breaking" might apply to processing chemicals, breaking them down; though I've never watched the series, I know it's main character is a chemistry teacher who turns to manufacturing the illegal drug methamphetamine. As stated above, "breaking bad" would also describe the teacher's actions themselves, turning from virtuous to vile activities.

< Previous | Next >