breakthrough performance

Josiah Carberry

US English
I am looking for an expression for "breakthrough performance" in a phrase such as "using this method will result in breakthrough performance". In other words, the level of performance will be unexpectedly and very significantly greater than the level hitherto achieved. The phrase should generate an emotion of excitement in the listener and should also be taken very seriously, as opposed to being outlandish and improbable.
I am thinking of "une percée dans la performance". The alliteration pleases me, but I don't know if this meets my criteria.

• Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    "Une percée dans la performance" does not really convey the same meaning. Une percée de/en is used to translate for instance "a medical breakthrough".
    I'd translate here by une/des performances exceptionnelles

Josiah Carberry

US English
    I don't want to say that performance will be "exceptionnelles" , because I mean to imply that the new level of performance will become normal, not exceptional. The term gives the wrong impression, I think.
    On the other hand, the use of "breakthrough" in the phrase is exactly the same as the meaning in such phrases as "a medical breakthrough". It is as if there were some barrier to achievement that was broken through, be that a barrier to curing a disease or a barrier to improving performance. For example, suppose some new method of athletic training enabled consistently running a mile in only 3 minutes.
    As for "inégalée" I suppose something like "hitherto unequaled" might carry the sense. How would you say that?

Itisi

English UK/French
    jusqu'à présent inégalées

I don't know if this helps:
    bouleversement technologique nm (modification technique importante)technological breakthrough n

Josiah Carberry

US English
    Perhaps "bouleversement" has too strong a negative connotation. Is it not more in the semantic web of "disruption" than in the realm of "improvement"? Or am I imagining that?

In any case, do you not like "percée" in this context?

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    On the other hand, the use of "breakthrough" in the phrase is exactly the same as the meaning in such phrases as "a medical breakthrough".
    Yes, in English, the meaning is the same, but in French, the translation depends on the context. Une percée en performance, would mean a breakthrough in the process of performing, as for instance someone finding a new way to train athletes. The breakthough would apply to the method, not to the performance.
    I support avancée as proposed by Itisi

Last edited:

Itisi

English UK/French
    To me, it's the performance itself that is' une avancée'. And sorry, but 'significative' doesn't generate much excitement, in me, at any rate... 'Prodigieuse' might be going too far...?;)

'une avancée ( ) dans (le domaine de) la performance' ?

< Previous | Next >