breathing a swimming pool

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Anne Frank, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Anne Frank

Anne Frank Senior Member

Russian
    Hello there! There is my challenge for today:
    What is breathing a swimming pool?...:confused:

The air outside is like breathing a swimming pool, and my hair is frizzing, stubbornly curling despite being racked with hot tools only an hour ago.
    The source : Girl last seen by Nina laurin( today at once:D)

2. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    When you go outside and breathe, the air is like breathing a swimming pool. I guess it is a hyperbolic way to say that the atmosphere is very humid.

3. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    Where's the narrator when she says this?

It suggests to me that there is a smell of chlorine or similar smelling chemicals in the air.

4. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London but from Yorkshire
    English - England
    I think there is a widely held theory that humid air plays havoc with hairdos - whereas I am not sure such a theory exists about chlorine!

5. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    Possibly, but the sentence doesn't necessarily mean that the narrator's hair is frizzing because of the air or the humidity.:) It might be curling because it curls.

6. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    Reading it again, you could well be right and that might be what the writer meant. But the sentence itself doesn't necessarily mean that. The writer's "fault" of course.

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    She states a symptom that is symptomatic of high humidity: Frizzing of hair.

It is unlikely that the smell of chlorine would be present anywhere there is not an actual pool or chemistry lab.

8. Barque Senior Member

India
    Tamil
    Agreed. My mistake. I wasn't thinking.