breeze board

< Previous | Next >

Meto

German
Found in Byatt, A whistling woman

anti-university protester-students

"Desks had been made from bricks and breeze-board."

What kind of material is "breeze board"?

• djmc

English - United Kingdom
    I've not heard of breeze board. Breeze-block is a building material made of concrete cast into blocks for construction purposes. The writer wasn't thinking of this.

xqby

English (U.S.)
    This is, judging by the lack of responses and my own incomprehension, clearly not a common word.

I imagine breeze-boards are porous in some way, such that they admit the passage of air ("breeze"). I managed to find a site which says beekeepers use breeze-boards to distribute chemicals, but I can't imagine how you would use cheesecloth as a desk. Maybe it is supposed to be ironic? Protesting college by making desks that you can't actually use for writing seems appropriate.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    I've never heard of breeze board, to my knowledge. But I wonder if Ms Byatt is using it as a synonym for breeze block:
    breeze block
    n (Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) a light building brick made from the ashes of coal, coke, etc., bonded together by cement and used esp for walls that bear relatively small loads Usual US names cinder block clinker block

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 6th Edition 2003. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
    Source

(EDIT: I hadn't seen djmc's answer when writing this)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >