breeze past

< Previous | Next >

dalila

Italian
Hi all,
I need some help with the meaning of "breeze past".
I'll give you first some context (it is from a review of an exhibition of drawings): "these are not works of art that bash the viewer into submissive reverence. You cannot breeze past soaking in broad swathes of colour without any effort, and there are few immediate responses to be had".
So, what is the meaning of the sentence? That you cannot avoid soaking in the swathes of colour (colour of what, of the drawings? - they are mainly black and white)? I think I'm not getting the meaning.

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I find this passage to be an attempt at elegant writing which ends up being incomprehensible. Is there, perhaps, some punctuation missing?
    In any case, "breeze past" means to pass by hurriedly, paying little attention.

kalamazoo

US, English
    "Breeze past" means to just rush by something, maybe giving it a quick glance. In this case, it is saying that these drawings are not something you can just hurry by and respond to quickly and effortlessly. It's saying that you need to pay attention to the drawings.

dalila

Italian
    No punctuation is missing. The author of the article is an English writer, so yes, this is elegat writing.

So , the sentence would be something like "you cannot breeze past the drawings while (?) you are soaking in broad swathes of colour"? Actually, the second part of the sentence is quite tough too.

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    It takes a bit of concentration to pull meaning from this, but I'll give it a try: You can't just glance at these works casually absorbing forms and colors. You have to look at them carefully, analytically. They don't offer an immediate understanding.
    [In my humble opinion, trying to talk about art can be a huge waste of time. But people get paid to do it. );=)]

dalila

Italian
    It takes a bit of concentration to pull meaning from this, but I'll give it a try: You can't just glance at these works casually absorbing forms and colors. You have to look at them carefully, analytically. They don't offer an immediate understanding.
    [In my humble opinion, trying to talk about art can be a huge waste of time. But people get paid to do it. );=)]
    Thank you so much, you've been of great help!
    I got more or less the overall meaning but maybe I was too tired to understand every single element of the sentence and make connections. Anyway, your explanation is so clear, thank you again :)

< Previous | Next >