Breton: Catwalon

5jellys

Canada - English & Arabic
[...] how is this old name Catwalon pronounced and does anyone know the meaning?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • spindlemoss

Welsh
    Related to Welsh Cadwallon was my first thought
    That would be more likely. I was confusing the Cornish sound change /t/ > /s/ with Welsh and Breton /t/ > /d/, cf. Welsh & Breton tad, Cornish tas (so Cornish has Kaswallon for both Cadwallon and Caswallon of Welsh).

Still can't help with the pronunciation though, sorry. There doesn't seem to be any info on a Breton version on the Breton Wikipedia.

5jellys

Sorry, for the late reply! I'm new to this site and thought I'd get alerted by email if there's any new replies.

If this helps, Catwalon was the name of a Breton abbot. Here's the link about him to Wikipedia but it's in French.

SheilaS

English, Cantonese
    Greetings! Kadwallen (also caduuallon, and Catwollen) is the Breton name for 7th C Welsh king (and saint) Cadwallon. The name means something along the lines of "Valorous in Battle." Cadwallon ap Cadfan (full name) was king of Gwynedd, Wales until his death in battle in 634 AD. As you might imagine, with a name like "Valorous in Battle," more than one person had it, and spindlemoss pointed out the similarity as well to "Caswallon". This list of British monarchs shows the popularity of both (and other) variations: http://www.angelfire.com/ego/et_deo/britishmonarchs.htm

With all the variation of this name, it's possible that a translation other than "Valorous in Battle" may apply at some point, too.

5jellys

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing it's related to Cadwallon too after some researching.

< Previous | Next >