Bride at the weddin’ and the corpse at the funeral

< Previous | Next >

opjeshke

Albanian
Please help me with the one in red:

Emily was spilling out of her string bikini top, and Emory, her latest victim, was loving it.
Link shook his head. “Man, those two wanna be the bride at the weddin’ and the corpse at the funeral.”

Source: Beautiful darkness, Kami Garcia and Margaret Peterson

Context: Emily is a cheerleader, one of those "popular" ones that behave like bitches with the ones out of the group. Now she is flirting with one of the basketball team guys, who is not smart and easily manipulated by her. They are hanging in a teenager's bar, girls dressed in bikini tops and very short skirts. The guy that is talking (Link) is one that used to hang with them but that recognizes how stupid and empty they all are.

• waltern

English - USA
    Like the bride at a wedding or the corpse at a funeral, they are the focus of all the attention.

opjeshke

Albanian
    Immediately after that comes the answer: “Just so long as I’m not invited to either.” (the other guy answering is really out of this crew, he does not deal with them at all anymore)
    Does it still make sense?

And this guy answering is not at all interested to her breasts, he practically hates her

Last edited by a moderator:

waltern

English - USA
    I believe "those two" actually refers to Emily and Emory, not Emily's breasts...the "Just so long as I’m not invited to either" makes it clear the speaker does not want to have anything to do with them.

Biffo

English - England
    I agree but there may be more. She wants to be like the bride, i.e. admired by everyone. He on the other hand will end up as another 'dead body' in her wake.

He doesn't want to witness either event.

opjeshke

Albanian
    This makes sense actually, she is like the one always in the center of the attention, treating him like her puppy.

Can it be that "if they have a life together, she will be the perfect bride, while he the perfect dead husband"? In this way to justify even the fact that the other character will not be invited in both events?

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >