bride of Christ

< Previous | Next >

Ann_123

Chinese - Singapore
Hi! I'm watching this show "The Borgias" and there's this part where a nun is telling a woman:

"The cutting of your hair is a symbol of the renunciation of your earthly beauty which is now in the service of our Lord God, Jesus Christ. You will be a bride of Christ, a handmaiden of Christ. Christ will be your love, your bread, your wine, your water."

May I know whether "bride of Christ" in this context means "you will belong to Christ"?

Thank you for you help.

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    It means that the woman has the same relationship to Christ as women used to have to their husbands. I suppose belonging to the husband is as good a way of putting it as any. Nuns are celibate. They wear a wedding type of ring to symbolise their marriage to God.

There are several Biblical sources for Christ as bridegroom. Calling nuns the brides of Christ
    follows in the tradition:

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Bride-And-Bridegroom/

2 Corinthians 11:2
    Paul is speaking to converts; he's worried about their pursuing false teachers:

2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

< Previous | Next >