bridgemaker

• The place where you found it is context, as well as the neighbouring words.
    Thank you for making me realize what context is :rolleyes:

I do believe you are conscious of the fact that words can occur without context :D

Seriously, someone asked what it meant in Polish on my Polish forum. And the one provided only the word, without context. I asked for some neighbouring words ;) I'll provide them as soon as I get them :)

rsweet

English, North America
    I do believe you are conscious of the fact that words can occur without context :D
    Only in the dictionary. :)

My guess is that a bridgemaker is someone who brings people or variuos groups together with a common purpose or understanding. Of course, it could just refer to an engineer, or construction worker, who makes bridges.

maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    Seriously, someone asked what it meant in Polish on my Polish forum.
    So the word is not necessarily an English word?

Its 'relative' occurs in Chambers English Dictionary as an hyphenated, compound word bridge-builder and is defined as a person who builds bridges; a person who tries to reconcile hostile parties, etc. esp in diplomacy;

The 'word' itself doesn't appear in Chambers English Dictionary, it doesn't appear in the Oxford Concise Dictionary or Collins English Dictionary. I doubt that it is a word, and so it has no meaning :)

Its 'relative' occurs in Chambers English Dictionary as an hyphenated, compound word bridge-builder and is defined as a person who builds bridges; a person who tries to reconcile hostile parties, etc. esp in diplomacy;
    That I know :) I didn't omit to check that in a dictionary.

The 'word' itself doesn't appear in Chambers English Dictionary, it doesn't appear in the Oxford Concise Dictionary or Collins English Dictionary. I doubt that it is a word, and so it has no meaning :)
    I had a suspicion of this kind. I wasn't sure though. That's why I asked the question.

Thank you all :)

< Previous | Next >