1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

Bridging,Making a back,Back shuffle,low-Bridging (soccer)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vitor boldrin, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vitor boldrin Senior Member

português brasileiro
    Bridging,Making a back,Back shuffle,low-Bridging are soccer/football move/play.

I would like to know if have you guys ever heard/seen/read these expressions?
    I have found them on the brazlians forums of the English language.

They mean this soccer/football move literally translated to english is called the cat's bed,cat's bed is when 2 players are going to fight for a air ball 1 player jumps up to head the ball while the another player lowers/inclines/curves his upper body/trunk foward for the player who is in the air to head the ball falls down on the ground on purpose.
    The act is called “to make a cat’s bed”(in portuguese).
    Watch this dirty move at this link below.
    << --- link removed --- >>

Is it right use them of these way?

The Real Madrid’s defender made a back shuffle on Messi and he falls down on the ground.
    He makes a low-Bridging on Cristiano Ronaldo and he is sent off the match.
    Messi was bridged by a brazilian player.
    To bridge a player is very grave fault in a soccer/football game.
    The back low-bridges him and he earns the yellow card.
    Neymar gets/ suffers a back/bridge/low-bridge/bridging/back shuffle and he comes out of the field on the stretcher.

Now, I'd like to thank you to you all for the answers and patience.
    I’m sure one soccer/football fan english speaker will help me.
    I’m sorry for my bad english.
    Happy new year to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
  2. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Such a move could be expressed by, for example: 'Jones made a back for Smith and brought him down'; or 'Smith could not complete his header because Jones was making a back'.

3. vitor boldrin Senior Member

português brasileiro
    that's awesome I was already beginning to think which this football/soccer move/play didn't exist in english league.
    so why haven't I found nothing about them on the websites in english language?
    have you ever heard the other expressions for it?
    to send me the exemples from websites in english if you find them.thank you so much for the answer.

4. mr cat Senior Member

English - England
    Really? Never heard it, (not to say that it doesn't exist I hasten to add). The only term I know of is 'backing into' a player, but that may cover a number of possible misdemeanours .

5. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    If you search for "make a back for" football (or made/making) you will find a few examples e.g In 32 minutes Chris McGowan went crashing over Andy Reid with the Beith striker seeming to make a back for him as the pair went for a high ball. (Daily Record)

However, I am not familiar with 'making a bridge'.

6. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    I coach high school football (soccer), and my fellow coach played professionally for a decade. We don't know these phrases, and they aren't used in the US. Unfortunately, when I use Szkot's search, nothing comes up in the US version of Google (most search engines give different answers in each country). Also, your link to a video has been removed.

From what you describe, 'to make a back' sounds exactly like undercutting someone, to use your body to throw them off balance in the air, resulting in a fall. The fall can be quite serious.
    I have no idea what you mean by bridging or back-bridging. You would have to describe this in more detail.

7. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    This thread has been discussed by the English Only moderators. As it appears to now rely on Spanish, Portuguese and access to a YouTube video (deleted posts) it is moving out of scope in this forum. It will be retained as a reference, but is closed to new posts.

A moderator (JulianStuart) found this in an older article in British Journal of Sportsmedicine, so it is added for information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.