bright/smart/clever

interprete21

Spanish (Spain) and Basque (Euskadi)
Hello:

Which would be the most common way in North America to say that someone is intelligent? You are clever, smart or bright?. I provide no context because i just need a general answer.

Thanks in advance.

• Nipnip

Español
    Astuto, listo, brillante (con las luces prendidas -las de la cabeza-) en ese orden, cada cual tiene en inglés, como tiene en español diferente significado aunque muy cercanos todos. La más coloquial me parece "smart", la astucia como que lleva más énfasis en que se calculan las cosas y hay cierta premeditación.

Last edited by a moderator:

Argieman

Spanish-Argentina
    Astuto, listo, brillante (con las luces prendidas -las de la cabeza-) en ese orden, cada cual tiene en inglés, como tiene en español diferente significado aunque muy cercanos todos. La más colooqual me parece "smart", la astucia como que lleva más enfásis en que se calculan las cosas y hay cierta premeditación.
    Hi!
    Please, tell me if I´m right or wrong.
    I was taught that:
    "Intelligent" has the same meaning as the spanish "inteligente"
    "Clever" is kind of mix of "inteligente + astuto"
    "Bright" is "brillante", that is the same as "intelligente" but with more emphasis.
    "Smart" is a synonym of "clever"
    Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Newt

English - US
    Hi!
    I was taught that:
    "Intelligent" has the same meaning as the spanish "inteligente"[...]
    "Intelligent" is a good, general neutral word. But "intelligence" implies something more profound than mere "cleverness"; "cleverness" implies ingenuity, but not always in a good way:

This suggestion is very clever, but I'm afraid you haven't really thought it through.

jpsl90

English- USA
    Hi!
    I was taught that:
    "Clever" is kinda mix of "inteligente + astuto"
    "Bright" is "brillante", that is the same as "intelligente" but with more emphasis.
    I'd also say that in U.S. at least, I think of smart as more of a synonym of intelligent than clever (but it can be both). In British English, I think it may be used more to mean clever

Nipnip

Español
    Hi!
    I was taught that:
    "Clever" is kinda mix of "inteligente + astuto"
    I agree with this, except for "bright" which to me doesn't mean the same as "brillante" which is more like genious, outsandingly intelligent.

k-in-sc

Yes, "bright" is not nearly as strong as "brilliant" and also has overtones of "promising." It's more for children and students. If you called an adult "bright" it might sound slightly condescending, like "lots of potential, but ..."

Argieman

Spanish-Argentina
    I got it, I think.
    Inteligente is "smart" or "intelligent". "Clever" is "smart + ingeniuous". "Clever"="intelligent" is very british.
    "Brilliant" is "brillante", and "bright" a young promising guy.

Thank you, Newt, jpsl90, Nipnip and k-in-sc!

Last edited:

Nipnip

Español
    I got it, I think.
    Inteligente is "smart" or "intelligent". "Clever" is "smart + astute". "Clever"="inteligente" is very british.
    "Brilliant" is "brillante", and "bright" a young promising guy.
    I don't recall "brillant" being used in the US except very sporadically. It is very common in the UK and it means "estupendo" it has nothing to do with wits.

< Previous | Next >