Brindar por que Madrid nos dé muchas alegrías

Sally Bowles

Spanish-Spain/Mexico
Estoy traduciendo lo siguiente:

"Vamos a brindar(sirviendo).Por nosotros y por que Madrid nos dé a todos muchas alegrías."

> "Let‘s make a toast(serving the cups).To us and..."

Me trabo en la parte de "por que Madrid nos dé a todos muchas alegrías"

Alguien se le ocurre cómo podría decirlo en inglés americano?

Gracias por la ayuda!

• Sprachliebhaber

Member Emeritus
    USA English
    Como dice pecosita, "To us, and to Madrid: may it make us all very happy/bring us all much happiness". (La cita dice "por que", no "porque".)

Psychologist2022

Banned
    Spanish (Rio de la Plata)
    Buenas noches.
    No soy nativo y con el verbo "to toast" con el significado de "brindar/celebrar" tengo muchas dudas.
    Tenía entendido que cuando actúa como verbo, "toast" no lleva preposición. No obstante, cuando no hay verbo sí debe usarse la preposición "to" y el "that" para introducir una proposición completiva.
    ¿Podrá confirmarlo un nativo?

"Vamos a brindar (sirviendo). Por nosotros y por que Madrid nos dé a todos muchas alegrías".
    Let's toast. (Serving a glass). To us and that Madrid will give a lot of joy to all of us.
    We are toasting/drinking (serving a glass). To us and that Madrid will give...

Otras alternativas entiendo que serían:
    ¿Suenan naturales para un nativo?
    I propose/suggest a toast to us and that Madrid will give a lot of joy to all of us.
    Let's drink a toast to us and that Madrid Will give a lot of joy to all of us.

Here's a toast to us and that Madrid Will give a lot of joy to all of us
    Let's drink to us and that Madrid Will give a lot of joy to all of us.

I want/I'd like to drink to us and that Madrid...

I want to make a drink/a toast to us and that Madrid...

I want/I'd like to toast to us and that Madrid...🤒
    ¿O esta debería decirse "I'd like to toast us and that Madrid..."?

Muchas gracias.

Last edited:

gengo

American English
    "Vamos a brindar (sirviendo). Por nosotros y por que Madrid nos dé a todos muchas alegrías".
    Let's toast. (Serving a glass). To us and that Madrid will give a lot of joy to all of us.

In English, what follows the "to" is always a noun or gerund, and not a verb phrase.

I like the suggestions given by the others, but you could also use a gerund here.

To us and to Madrid's giving all of us a lot of happiness.

However, I prefer the other suggestions.

Aguas Claras

UK English
    What exactly are the "alegrías". Does it mean "happiness" in general or are they talking about something like making business deals or winning sports competitions or something similar?

Psychologist2022

Banned
    Hello Aguas Claras. Yes, with "alegrias", although it appears in plural, we're speaking of the emotion of "happiness in general".

Bmm5045

USA - English (Northeast)
    In English, what follows the "to" is always a noun or gerund, and not a verb phrase.
    Although "that Madrid will give a lot of joy to us" is a noun clause, it still doesn't work in parallel structure. I actually like it, though, but I would certainly insert a comma to avoid this problem. You could also use "may," the tone of which is rather formal, but appropriate for a toast.

"To us, and may Madrid bring us all plenty of happiness/joy"

Psychologist2022

Banned
    I propose/suggest a toast to us and that Madrid will give a lot of joy to all of us.
    Let's drink a toast to us and that Madrid Will give a lot of joy to all of us.

Here's a toast to us and that Madrid Will give a lot of joy to all of us
    Let's drink to us and that Madrid Will give a lot of joy to all of us.

I want/I'd like to drink to us and that Madrid...

I want to make a drink/a toast to us and that Madrid...

I want/I'd like to toast to us and that Madrid...🤒
    ¿O esta debería decirse "I'd like to toast us and that Madrid..."?

Muchas gracias.
    Sorry. I didn't understand well if my structures are grammatically correct or not. Maybe it's a literal translation for: "Vamos a brindar. Por nosotros y por que Madrid nos dé a todos muchas alegrías". Can "that" be used as well as "may" in a more informal way?

On the other hand, I've read in another post in the forum that when "toast" works as a verb, English doesn't use the preposition because of following a direct object. Is not this rule really respected in standard English?
    Example:
    "Let's toast the bride and groom" instead of "Let' s toast to the bride and groom".

Last edited:

Bmm5045

USA - English (Northeast)
    Interesting question. "Let's toast the bride and groom" makes me think "let's say some words about them, then take a drink." On the other hand, "Let's toast to the bridge and groom" makes me think "let's take a drink right now in their honor."

Maybe that's just me...others?

gengo

American English
    I didn't understand well if my structures are grammatically correct or not. Maybe it's a literal translation for: "Vamos a brindar. Por nosotros y por que Madrid nos dé a todos muchas alegrías". Can "that" be used as well as "may" in a more informal way?

The standard format for a toast in English is: [here's] to X (where X is a noun). As I said above, we don't use a verb phrase after "to."

Therefore, we could say:
    To Madrid; may it...
    To Madrid; may she...
    To Madrid; that it...
    etc.

We could also say: Here's to all the happiness that Madrid gives us.
    This is a noun phrase, so it fits the pattern.

"Let's toast the bride and groom" instead of "Let's toast to the bride and groom".

I would say that it is much more common to omit the preposition in such constructions, but I wouldn't say it is incorrect to include it. To me, it sounds more natural to say something like "Let's raise a toast to..."