[bring along] European allies

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/world/americas/obama-and-allies-seek-united-response-on-crimea.html

Quotation: Susan E. Rice, Mr. Obama’s national security adviser, acknowledged that the president’s weeklong trip, including a meeting with Pope Francis on Thursday and a stop in Saudi Arabia on Friday, would be overshadowed by Ukraine and the need to press for Western unity. She expressed confidence that the meeting here on Monday would “deepen” coordination.

But as the United States ratchets up economic sanctions against Russia, it may be difficult for Mr. Obama to bring along European allies, who are more economically intertwined with Russia and ended their own summit meeting Friday with no detailed mention of tougher sanctions.
===
Hi everyone! What does "bring along" mean here. I failed to find an applicable meaning in my dictionaries.

• Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Thanks. I've looked it up in the Cambridge English Dictionary, but I could not decide the figurative meaning.

I've thought of many meanings, such as: to persuade European allies to "join" it; to unite European allies; etc.
    But can the phrase be used in these ways? I'd say I don't know. Are they stronger than "to bring along"? That's why I posted the thread.

DaylightDelight

Japanese - Tokyo
    I think "join" could also work, but I'd have to wait for native speakers to clarify the subtle differences.
    (In my mind, "let's do it together" and "come on, join us" don't differ very much. ;))

< Previous | Next >