bring close to home

billy_longlegs1

English UK
Bonjour,

Je voudrais traduire l'expression anglaise 'bring close to home'.

Living with Tunisians made the situation in Tunisia more real, and brought it close to home.

I'm unsure of what verb to use with 'bring'. Apporter? Il l'a apporté près de chez moi.

Est-ce qu'il y a une meilleure expression?

• WordyReference

French & English
    Non, to bring something close to home c'est l'expression d'un sentiment qui signifie 'cela m'a fait réaliser quelque chose'.

WordyReference

French & English
    Ou bien prendre conscience de quelque chose, habiter avec des tunisiens en Tunisie m'a fait prendre conscience de leur situation.

IrishCailín

UK
    English- Br Eng
    Hi,
    I feel there is an important element missing from the French expression proposed by WordyReference- the person has formally been aware of the situation, but has not really given it any thought or placed any degree of importance on it...then when something is brought close to home you think of how you yourself would react in the situation/ what it would be like if the same thing(s) happened to you.
    Do you feel that this idea is incorporated within 'se faire conscient de qqch'?

But as for a French expression including all that... add in 'plus' ?

Incidentally, it might be an idea to point out that 'to bring something home' has a different meaning- E.g: 'to bring the point home to someone' is to make a point absolutely clear to someone, so that they have no choice but to completely understand and/or appreciate the point you are making

WordyReference

French & English
    true, so say: habiter avec des tunisiens en Tunisie m'a fait davantage prendre conscience de leur situation.

I can't think of anything better...

billy_longlegs1

English UK
    Hi,

In an attempt to reply to this the other day, it didn't work. Thanks to you both. I think I can use your examples WordyReference, but I do agree with Irish Caitlin. There is something missing from the translation. To add to the explanation in english. The sentence I want to say is actually, living with Tunisians IN FRANCE brough the situation in Tunisia close to home. Not only did I become more aware of it, but I was more sensitive to the issue, and naturally I could not escape it. Perhaps I need to express this in French in a few sentences?

WordyReference

French & English
    Sure, you could do that. I know a lot of people get upset by that sort of translation but I quite like it, after all the reader doesn't know the orginal text, so as long as the effect and meaning are the same, I say go for it.

Kleerkastje

New Zealand English; Dutch
    To keep the sentiment of the English phrase a bit better, you could use 'faire sentir qch. à qn', for example: "Habiter avec des Tunisiens m'a vraiment fait sentir leur situation." 'Se faire sentir' is also fairly similar. Or you could try something involving 'toucher de près' - "La situation des Tunisiens m'a touchée de plus près après que j'avais habité avec eux."

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >