bring down/tear apart/fall apart

< Previous | Next >

loureed4

Spanish
Hello,

I have a question regarding those three phrasal verbs, to see if they are synonyms in this context:

(Context: Due to the crisis , a company is about to shut down unless some important decisions are made).

"It is time for us to tackle this issue, otherwise, the company will bring down/tear apart/fall apart."

From what I am reading of "tear apart", I think it is not very suitable in this context, but I am not sure about it.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
  • loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks Beryl,

I removed "bring down" both from the title and from the body but apparently it didn´t work and still the title of the thread is "bring down/tear apart/fall apart". I removed it because I saw that "bring down" is a transitive verb.

So, you say that "shut down" is the best option? . Even though, I love knowing more than a possibility in order not to repeat always "shut down". The more synonyms or ways you know to say the same, the better. :)

So, not even "fall apart" is appropriate?. I will have to check again the meaning here in wordreference.

Thanks a lot!

loureed4

Spanish
    I agree.

"Bring down" is transitive, so it doesn't work here.
    I don't know if "tear apart" is always transitive, but it sounds odd in your sentence.
    Thanks sound shift,

I was telling Beryl that I removed "bring down" because I checked it and it is, as you point out, a transitive verb, my fault. The same applies to "tear apart" (I have just checked some seconds ago). My apologies.

Thanks a lot!

wandle

English - British
    So, not even "fall apart" is appropriate?. I will have to check again the meaning here in wordreference.
    What is your aim? Is it to find an appropriate term to fit the sentence? (Answer: 'collapse')

Or is it to learn the correct use of the phrase 'fall apart'? If so, do you mean in the literal or metaphorical sense?

loureed4

Spanish
    My aim is to know how to say that a company is going to close or shut down, but with some phrasal verbs that I am studying now, such as: tear apart, fall apart, bring down...

I have checked the meaning of fall apart, and its figurative sense seems to fit in here. One of the examples given here in wordreference dictionary is: "all their carefully laid plans just fell apart"

Therefore, from my view, it could be suitable for this context, couldn´t not?

Thanks!!

wandle

English - British
    I am afraid your aim of trying to combine the phrases you mention with the example you give is a mistaken aim.
    I can help you to find an appropriate term for the context, or to find a suitable context for 'fall apart', but I cannot help you to put the term 'fall apart' into a context where it does not fit.
    I do not mean to sound unhelpful, but it is a question of the meaning of the terms.

wandle

English - British
    Here is an example of 'fall apart' in the metaphorical sense.

FOOTBALL: REVEALED: WHY IT ALL FELL APART

Sunday Mirror, Dec 1, 2002 by JOE McCANN
    Brian Dempsey has lifted the lid on his relationship with Fergus McCann and revealed for the first time why he couldn't work with the one time Celtic saviour.
    What does the headline (in capitals) tell us?
    It says the story will reveal why the relationship between the two men failed.
    'Why it all fell apart' means: 'why the relationship broke down'.

Last edited:

wandle

English - British
    With 'fall apart' we have to choose the literal meaning or the metaphorical one.

The literal meaning expresses visible physical consequences:
    'I just undid this one screw and the whole mechanism fell apart'.
    This means all the parts fell away from each other and landed on the floor or the desk or wherever.

The metaphorical meaning reflects the idea of (a) a complex of elements held together and (b) the failure of the effort to hold them together. However, it is about psychology: it is about a mental or psychological effort to keep something working.
    'I was trying to be a parent, run a business and go in for local politics all at the same time. In the end, it all fell apart.'

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks wandle,

Here it is expressed the figurative sense as I understood it:

"...if something such as an organization, agreement, or relationship falls apart, it no longer continues: The NATO alliance was in danger of falling apart..."

wandle

English - British
    It is true that it no longer continues, but 'fall apart' says more than that.
    An alliance is made up of a number of member states which must make an effort to co-operate.
    When that effort fails (as in the case of taking out the retaining screw) the combination falls apart.

loureed4

Spanish
    Wow! , that explanation is awesome, though very subtle for my knowledge wandle! :confused:

I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP! (it is kind of tough this stuff about "fall apart", but I´ll get it eventually thanks to your explanations and the internet). I´ll get back to this post tomorrow, I guess I´ll see things more clearly.

Thanks! :)

< Previous | Next >