Bring forth or give birth

Stallion007

Hindi
"God can do everything. He brings forth a child through a woman but if He wishes, He could bring forth a child through a man"

OR

"God can do everything. He gives birth to a child through a woman but if He wishes, He could give birth to a child through a man"

I would like to know if the above sentences are correct? Whether I used the verbs BRING FORTH and GIVE BIRTH with THROUGH correctly or not? Or is there any other way to say the same thing using different verb? Thank you !

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    What exactly are you describing here, Stallion? I'm not familiar with the concept of a god "giving birth through a woman", so I can't tell you whether the expression you have chosen is correct.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Giving birth" describes the actual process through which a child comes into this world. God does not give birth to a child, unless God can become pregnant and go through childbirth. Only a woman (as far as we know, referring only to humans, and without divine assistance) can give birth to a child.

"Bringing forth," however, is a more general statement. It can refer to the original cause of something. In this case it is more appropriate.

Stallion007

Hindi
    What exactly are you describing here, Stallion? I'm not familiar with the concept of a god "giving birth through a woman", so I can't tell you whether the expression you have chosen is correct.
    Yeah, I know. God can't give birth. What I meant was that God brings a child to this world through his/her mother. That's what I wanted to say.

Stallion007

Hindi
    "Giving birth" describes the actual process through which a child comes into this world. God does not give birth to a child, unless God can become pregnant and go through childbirth. Only a woman (as far as we know, referring only to humans, and without divine assistance) can give birth to a child.

"Bringing forth," however, is a more general statement. It can refer to the original cause of something. In this case it is more appropriate.
    Yes. I mean God can't become pregnant and give birth to a child but He can cause a woman to become pregnant and give birth to a child. That's what I wanted to say. So I should use the first option?

sdgraham

USA English
    Yeah, I know. God can't give birth. What I meant was that God brings a child to this world through his/her mother. That's what I wanted to say.
    Since it's not idiomatic (in the years since the King James version of the Christian Bible was written in 1611) , I strongly suggest you do not use the archaic "bring forth" meaning "give birth.".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Rather late in the day, but I propose 'bear children'. That covers the whole process of conception, pregnancy, then giving birth.

You would have to rewrite your sentence perhaps using some phrase like "It's God's will that women bear children ... ".

(I wish He would arrange for men to bear them!)

Last edited:

Stallion007

Hindi
    Rather late in the day, but I propose 'bear children'. That covers the whole process of conception, pregnancy, then giving birth.

You would have to rewrite your sentence perhaps using some phrase like "It's God's will that women bear children ... ".

(I wish He would arrange for men to bear them.)
    Thank you so much :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >