Bring it up!

< Previous | Next >

JoY~

arab arabic
Hi,

I was watching a movie when the guy wanted to confess to his girlfriend so she told him:
"Bring it up".

Now in that situation can we still use :
"Speak up".

"Go ahead".

or

"Tell me!".

What is the difference?

Thank you.

• Trisia

Romanian
    What movie was that? :p

Usually I'd expect to hear "Bring it on." (meaning: "go ahead, tell me")

When you bring up something, you're introducing it as a subject for discussion:
    I was in a meeting all day, but I didn't manage to bring up the problem we've been having with the coffee machine.

Lexiphile

England English
    I think, Joy, that "bring it up" is meant figuratively -- Used like this, by itself in a sentence, it literally means vomit. She was certainly being rather contemptuous.

By the way, it's go ahead, not go a head. And "speak up" means "speak louder."

JoY~

arab arabic
    What movie was that? :p

Usually I'd expect to hear "Bring it on." (meaning: "go ahead, tell me")

When you bring up something, you're introducing it as a subject for discussion:
    I was in a meeting all day, but I didn't manage to bring up the problem we've been having with the coffee machine.
    It was "Forces of Nature".
    Starring: Sandra Bullock and Ben Affleck.

JoY~

arab arabic
    I think, Joy, that "bring it up" is meant figuratively -- Used like this, by itself in a sentence, it literally means vomit. She was certainly being rather contemptuous.

By the way, it's go ahead, not go a head. And "speak up" means "speak louder."
    I'm sorry for the mistake.

Yes, she was contemptuous. So we can use "Bring it up." when we are in such situation otherwise we can use "go ahead." or "tell me." but not "Speak up." right?

Lexiphile

England English
    You can use "speak up" if he's mumbling.
    "Go ahead" and "tell me" indicate that you are trying to encourage him to talk.
    I would expect that the occasions when you would use "bring it up" are extremely rare. You might use "cough it up" (jokingly) if he is reluctant but you don't wish to show contempt.

And you needn't be sorry for mistakes. That's what we're all here for.

< Previous | Next >