Bring on the rain

taceev

Turkish
What does "bring on the rain" mean ? I came across this phrase in a saying and song lyrics :

"Tomorrow's another day and I am not afraid. So bring on the rain. "

"When you're smiling
When you're smiling
The whole world smiles with you

When you're laughing
Oh, when you're laughing
The sun comes shining through

But when you're crying
You bring on the rain
So stop your sighing"

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    In the song lyric it means you cause the rain - metaphorical for sadness.

I'm not afraid... bring on the rain. Let it rain. Let difficult times come.
    Stormy weather is seen as a difficulty we have to live through.

sheri_f

English
    Bring on the rain means two different things in these instances.

In the first context, it is a bold statement of confidence that conveys "I can handle/cope with the bad that's to come...so let it come."

In the second context, "bring on" means that you cause something to happen, with the example that crying causes the rain. It figuratively might mean that someone being sad prompts Mother Nature to also "cry."

Laurentiana

English - Canada
    What’s different about your examples grammatically is the mood of the sentences.

The first is imperative. It’s a command to the absent impersonal subject: Bring on the rain [because I’ll get through it and things might be better tomorrow].

The second is indicative. It’s a statement about what happens when one cries instead of smiling or laughing: ... when you’re crying you bring on the rain ... [and if you go back to smiling the sun will shine again].

Note that the body of this declarative sentence is followed by a clause in the imperative mood: So stop your crying ... Note also that the subject here, rendered in the second person, is really the impersonal third-person one.

paul

< Previous | Next >