bringing the end of surpluses that much closer

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the structure of the sentence " bringing the end of surpluses that much closer". Could I interpret it as " bringing the end of surpluses that (=the end) is much closer)"?

the context is as follows:
===
What's more, even if you take the President at his word -- that a crisis and bankruptcy are fast approaching -- the introduction of private accounts does nothing to slow that process. On the contrary, it makes things worse, by diverting payroll taxes from current retiree benefits and bringing the end of surpluses that much closer.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/17/bush.socialsecurity.tm/

• I suppose the Social Security fund has some surplus. It will not last; let's say not more than 10 years. The President's policy diverts money into private accounts. This will bring an end to surpluses
    in (let's say) 8 years. The end is "that much"--a significant amount--closer.

OP: On the contrary, it makes things worse, by diverting payroll taxes from current retiree benefits and bringing the end of surpluses that much closer.

Similar sentence. Main verb and two participles.
    John was delayed by the rain. But his sprained ankle made the trip home much worse, by causing him a lot of pain and delaying his arrival that much later {quite a bit later than the rain alone would have caused).

Last edited:
    (Things are bad. Surpluses will end in the not-distant future.) The policy makes things worse . It diverts money from the fund and thus it causes surpluses to disappear (end) that much sooner (than what would happen without the policy).

It is the 'end' which is closer, not the 'surpluses' as in your proposal.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    [/QUOTE] John was delayed by the rain. But his sprained ankle made the trip home much worse, by causing him a lot of pain and delaying his arrival that much later {quite a bit later than the rain alone would have caused).[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I quite understand it now ;)

< Previous | Next >