brings image of the cool cat to mind

< Previous | Next >

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
However, because of his popularity, the signature pink cat came to be known as the Pink Panter. Even today, the Pink Panther's theme song brings image of the cool cat to mind.

Does the part in bold refer to "reminds people of the mage of the cool cat?" Thanks.

• quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Yes quietdandelion, you're right.
    Thanks,Cristina, for your confirmation.

It either be "brings an image" or "brings images," though.
    Thanks, bibliolept, for your advice.
    But I'm still in doubt--why not brings the image of the cool cat since it's the specific and physical picture of the cool cat? I've noticed that many native speakers use indefinite article in the similar contexts where we were taught to definite ones.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    But I'm still in doubt--why not brings the image of the cool cat since it's the specific and physical picture of the cool cat? I've noticed that many native speakers use indefinite article in the similar contexts where we were taught to definite ones.
    There is more than one imagine in my mind when I think of the Pink Panther. There is the cartoon, there is the movie series, there are the commercials. There are also different images of the cat himself... "the image of the cool cat" isn't wrong, QD, but the fact is that I think in multiple images, not single ones.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Dimcl, for your clear reply.
    But it doesn't clear up my doubt. Doesn't the+noun sometimes refer to the collective noun? For instance,

The horse is a useful animal.
    The mobile phone is a modern convenient device.
    The image of the cool cat often lingers in my mind.

I don't think we'll imagine there is only one horse, one mobile phone or one image in the above three samples, will we?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    But it doesn't clear up my doubt. Doesn't the+noun sometimes refer to the collective noun? For instance,

I don't think we'll imagine there is only one horse, one mobile phone or one image in the above three samples, will we?
    I would agree with your first two sentences because you are generalizing. "The" horse means every horse living, dead and yet-born. "The" mobile phone means every mobile phone made, used, yet to be made or dumped on the trash heap. The cool cat to whom you refer is the Pink Panther and there is only one of him. He is a specific character. When I think of something specific, I don't just see one picture of it in my mind's eye - I see many pictures of it. Ask me to think of my dog or my cat or my kitchen table - I see images, not a single image. You're equating "the horse" and "the mobile phone" with "image" and it just doesn't work.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Dimcl, for the clear and beneficial analysis.
    Now I get it.
    So is it better to modify the part in bold in the base sentence as the images of the cool cat?

Just to make sure, does the part in bold in the base sentence sound good and right?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, Dimcl, for the clear and beneficial analysis.
    Now I get it.
    So is it better to modify the part in bold in the base sentence as the images of the cool cat?

Just to make sure, does the part in bold in the base sentence sound good and right?
    Yes, it's fine for me. What I should say, though, QD, is that the singular "image" is not incorrect if, in fact, there is only one image. If, every time you think of the Pink Panther, you think of only one image, then you would say "brings an image to mind". This is highly unlikely, however, so "images" would be the most common.

Forero

However, because of his popularity, the signature pink cat came to be known as the Pink Panther. Even today, the Pink Panther's theme song brings image of the cool cat to mind.

Does the part in bold refer to "reminds people of the image of the cool cat?" Thanks.
    Bibliolept is right. In this meaning (image of …), "image" is a count noun and requires an article when used in the singular.
    Thanks,Cristina, for your confirmation.

Thanks, bibliolept, for your advice.
    I don’t know what you have been taught, but I will say that the use of a different article than the usual tends to indicate a different meaning than the usual.

Actually I do imagine one stereotypical horse, but not one individual horse, and one stereotypical mobile phone and one stereotypical cool cat. (Unfortunately the Pink Panther is not the stereotypical cool cat that I imagine: the stereotypical 1950s beatnik, a cat that’s solid cool, man - not square.)

My problem with “the” in front of “image of the cool cat” is that, whereas the second “the” refers specifically to the Pink Panther, the first “the” is meant to be more general. This makes the phrase awkward. I would say either “an image of the Cool Cat” or “the image of this Cool Cat” to contrast the two and improve the flow of the sentence.

How about “brings to mind the image of this Cool Cat”?

< Previous | Next >