Britain e Brittany

Marsario

Italia, italiano
Hello,
I've always had this question: there are two different words in English, Britain and Brittany, the first one refers to the isles of UK and Eire and the second one refers to a region of France, but I've always heard the same translation in Italian: Bretagna. How can I speak about them using the appropriate words?

Thank you in advance

• Murphy

English, UK
    I'm not sure I fully understand your question, do you want to know how to make the distinction in Italian?

La Gran Bretagna - in the UK
    La Bretagna - in France.

After all, the expression Great(er) Britain originated as a way of distinguishing the larger region in what is now the UK from the smaller one in France.

Marsario

Italia, italiano
    I can see the defferences between these English words (Great Britain, Britain and Brittanny) but I can find three different words to express them in Italian (Great Britain = Gran Bretagna, Britain = Bretagna, Brittanny = Bretagna, ???). I hope I explaned clearly

arenas

Italy, Italian
    I can see the defferences between these English words (Great Britain, Britain and Brittanny) but I can find three different words to express them in Italian (Great Britain = Gran Bretagna, Britain = Bretagna, Brittanny = Bretagna, ???). I hope I explaned clearly
    In Italian, Bretagna only indicates the French region.
    Britain, i.e. the largest of the British Isles, is Gran Bretagna instead.
    I think the two similar and confusing names come from the time when England owned territories in northern France, so people referred to Great Britain (or Britain) to indicate the island, and Brittany (little Britain) for the French part.

ciao

< Previous | Next >