Britain Trump

< Previous | Next >
  • MrMuselk

English - South East England
    It is ungrammatical, but I think it’s just a very bad joke which the President means to become popular on the internet. If it were in Spain, it would be Spain Trump, or Germany Trump, Italy Trump, etc. It’s the type of grammar found in the “doge” memes.

MrMuselk

I suppose "Britain Trump" uses "Britain" as a noun modifier. It is odd to do this when an adjective "British" exists to do the same job. I would say "The British Trump".
    I agree. Of course, The British Trump sounds like the most natural thing to say, but of course, Trump is looking for attention by planting an ungrammatical nickname on the Prime Minister. Britain Trump sounds like a Top Trumps card (pun intended).

Myridon

English - US
    I agree. Of course, The British Trump sounds like the most natural thing to say, but of course, Trump is looking for attention by planting an ungrammatical nickname on the Prime Minister. Britain Trump sounds like a Top Trumps card (pun intended).
    I doubt that it was intentional. Also, we don't have Top Trumps here.

MrMuselk

I doubt that it was intentional. Also, we don't have Top Trumps here.
    Well, I guess it does make sense that it wasn’t)t intentional. I can imagine Trump just throwing that into the air in a news interview.

NO TOP TRUMPS!? OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I have no idea what 'Top Trumps' are, nor what 'the 'doge' memes' might be. Maybe Trump knows and assumes everybody does. It's very possible that annoying potato doesn't either. If they do, that's great and nobody need enlighten me, because I'm not interested, but a valid grammar question was asked.

MrMuselk

Top Trumps: Card game about anything you want, really.
    Doge: Widespread meme of a chinese breed of dog, which I think is the one in Annoyingpotato’s profile picture, captioned with ungrammatical amusing sentences.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I notice that that term is remarkably close in form to the name of one of Trump's sons, Barron Trump.

Barron Trump / Britain Trump

It could be a reference used as a name, not a title, indicating he's considered a member of the family.

MrMuselk

I notice that that term is remarkably close in form to the name of one of Trump's sons, Barron Trump.

It could be a reference used as a name, not a title, indicating he's considered a member of the family.
    I don’t quite think that’s it. He’d probably have jokingly nicknamed him Trump Jr or something along those lines if he were making him a member of the (surprisingly large) Trump family.

ewie

English English

If it could ever be proved that Trump had ever made a 'joke' as 'sophisticated' as that, I would eat both my own feet.

< Previous | Next >