British synonym for stir crazy.

Chasint

English - England
Hello, I'm English.

I know the phrase 'stir crazy' and the following synonyms or near synonyms:
antsy, confined, fidgety, having cabin fever.

I think of "stir crazy" and "cabin fever" as Americanisms.

I feel sure there is a British term that is neither of these but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Does anyone know what it could be?

(Note to moderators: I'm sure there's only one, so I'm not asking for a list!)

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I use 'bonkers' for every feeling of this sort that's not an acknowledged psychiatric/ mental illness.
    I am especially 'bonkers' right now because of the various frustrations caused by the weather: not being able to get out without taking "'elfin sighfty" risks and the inadequacy of our ancient heating system in the unusual cold. :)

(I don't mind admitting that in the past couple of years I feel more, or less, 'bonkers' most of the time for one reason or another. WR forum is like a haven of sanity and reason.)

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    So what do you say when you're stuck at home for 24 hours because a freak snowstorm stops you going out, ss?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    It would be rather silly to compare British weather with the extremes of some places where people endure almost endless months indoors. I like 'cooped up'.

london calling

UK English
    So what do you say when you're stuck at home for 24 hours because a freak snowstorm stops you going out, ss?
    Not 'stir crazy'. I don't think I've ever said that in my life.:)

I was stuck at home last week for 24 hours because of snow (unusual, but it happens here as well). I wouldn't say I was stir crazy (by which I mean a nervous wreck) but I was certainly worried about the work which was piling up at the office (together with the snow...).:D

< Previous | Next >