Bro Dad/Bro Son-in-law

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Hi Everyone,
Context: In the cartoon movie "Ice Age: Continental Drift", Manny was called as "Bro Dad" by the boyfriend of his daughter Peaches. Much later toward the end of the movie, Manny affectionately called Peaches' boyfriend as "Bro Son-in-law". Some young male members of Hispanic-American or African-American groups also address their fathers as "Bros or Bruhs".

Are the terms, "Bro Dad" and "Bro Son-in-law" demeaning and substandard English?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I suspect "Bro Dad" and "Bro Son-in-law" are terms invented for the movie. (At least, I've never heard them."

The term "Bro" is common, though perhaps a bit outdated, in casual conversation in certain dialects and cultural groups in the US. It's non-standard but certainly not demeaning.

The Newt

English - US
    "Bro" has been revived of late to refer to, as one Urban Dictionary contributor puts it, "an alpha male idiot." The stereotypical semi-alcoholic college frat-boy may be "a bro" (there's no racial component). I think the movie is probably referring to the older meaning, however.

Myridon

English - US
    Some young male members of Hispanic-American or African-American groups also address their fathers as "Bros or Bruhs".
    I haven't heard anyone call their father "bro". It's short for "brother." You call your close friends "bro." Julian means that Manny is both friend (bro) and father-figure (dad) to him.

JamesM

I've heard "bro" used where you would use "man" or "dude" or "mate". It's just a way for a man to address another man in a friendly way.

As others have said, I have never heard "bro Dad" or "bro son-in-law" (or "bro" and any another family relationship, for that matter).

NickJunior

Khmer
    Wow. Thanks to everyone for the good clarifications. May you all be blessed. I don't ever mean to negate anyone's experience with the term "Bro", but on Youtube, Freddy Soto, a comic called his dad as "Bro" in one of his acts.

< Previous | Next >