broach/tackle

albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
Hi,
Can I change de verb "broach" in the following phrase either for "deal with" or "tackle" without altering the meaning?

"It occurred to us to be together but we never broached the subject"
Thanks for your comments

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    The meanings would be similar, but if a subject was never broached that would imply that it was never brought up or discussed at all, whereas a subject might be talked about, gently and ineffectively, without actually getting tackled or dealt with.

owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Alberto Vidal. It might be better to replace "broach" with something like "bring up". It occurred to us to be together but we never brought the subject up.

I suppose you could use "tackled" in that sentence, but it gives me a different impression than "broach" or "bring up" do.

Last edited:

albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    Hello, Alberto Vidal. It might be better to replace "broach" with something like "bring up". It occurred to us to be together but we never brought the subject up.

I suppose you could use "tackled" in that sentence, but it gives me a different impression than "broach" or "bring up" do.
    Thanks your answer.

Is the difference between "tackle" and "bring up/broach" subtle (I mean just a nuance) ot the final meaning considerably changes?

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks your answer.

Is the difference between "tackle" and "bring up/broach" subtle (I mean just a nuance) ot the final meaning considerably changes?
    When you tell me that you are going to "tackle" a subject, I get the idea that the subject is difficult or problematic in some way. If you two felt that way about the idea of "being together", then using it would make sense.

albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    When you tell me that you are going to "tackle" a subject, I get the idea that the subject is difficult or problematic in some way. If you two felt that way about the idea of "being together", then using it would make sense.
    It's now quite clear to me.
    I wouldn't use "tackle" in my context.
    Thanks and regards
    Alberto

< Previous | Next >