broad and narrow personality traits

< Previous | Next >

Hhh123

Hindi
When I say "The broad personality traits are Agreeableness and extraversion and narrow traits are tough mindedness and optimism," what does "broad" and "narrow" here mean?

Narrow traits aren't part of the broad ones, then how are they narrow or broad? And sometimes a broad category for suppose X cant be further divided and how is it broad? What does broad here mean? In dictionary broad category means a category with variety inside it but I have seen that is not the case always. So what does broad here mean?

<Edited by moderator (Florentia52) for readability>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I don't know much about this, but I think there are must be several ways of categorising character traits, devised by different psychologists.
    The Big Five personality traits are:
    • Openness
    • Conscientiousness
    • Extraversion
    • Agreeableness
    • Neuroticism
    https://www.123test.com/big-five-personality-theory/
    If you divide character traits into a very few categories (broad categories), two of those are agreeableness and extraversion.

If you divide character traits into a larger number of categories (narrow categories), tough-mindedness and optimism may be two of them.

Imgine dividing a pie into many small pieces or just a few large pieces.

Hhh123

Hindi
    I don't know much about this, but I think there are must be several ways of categorising character traits, devised by different psychologists.

If you divide character traits into a very few categories (broad categories), two of those are agreeableness and extraversion.

If you divide character traits into a larger number of categories (narrow categories), tough-mindedness and optimism may be two of them.

Imgine dividing a pie into many small pieces or just a few large pieces.
    Does broad here mean general, basic and narrow means specific or broad means wide, large and narrow small?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Both really; a broad category covers a wider scope and is more general, and a "narrow trait" focuses on something more specific.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If you wrote the sentence, Hhh123, you must have some idea what you want it to mean. What are you trying to say?

Hhh123

Hindi
    If you wrote the sentence, Hhh123, you must have some idea what you want it to mean. What are you trying to say?
    What Iam trying to ask is when we casually say suppose there are three broad reasons and two narrow reasons, I do get the sense that these are major and minor, but what do the words broad and narrow here itself mean? General or wide or big or main?

Both really; a broad category covers a wider scope and is more general, and a "narrow trait" focuses on something more specific.
    The primary meaning I suppose here and in other contexts such as when we say broad reason, is "general" and not "wide" or "big", right?

The primary meaning I suppose here and in other contexts such as when we say broad reason, is "general" and not "wide" or "big", right?
    Something can be "general" but not "wide" or "vast" in that case can we use "broad"?

Hhh123

Hindi
    <Threads have been merged at this point by moderator (Florentia52)>

When I say Broad reasons and Narrow reasons, Are the words "broad" and "Narrow" here metaphors and mean "General" and "specific" or have some different meaning?

Chez

English English
    Hi Hhh123 and welcome to the forum.

Where have you heard these phrases? I'm afraid they don't sound very common or familiar.

'broad' sounds more possible, in phrases like;
    broadly, the reasons are...
    broadly-speaking the reasons are... which would both mean, generally, without being specific, without going into detail, the reasons are...

But I've never heard anyone talking about 'narrow reasons'.

lingobingo

English - England
    Broad means general, wide-ranging (as Chez says).

The word narrow can be used to mean restricted/limited, as in being narrow-minded, having a narrow view of something. It can also mean “precise or strict in meaning”, but in this sense it’s more likely to be applied to the definition of something than to reasons for it.

Hhh123

Hindi
    Broad means general, wide-ranging (as Chez says).

The word narrow can be used to mean restricted/limited, as in being narrow-minded, having a narrow view of something. It can also mean “precise or strict in meaning”, but in this sense it’s more likely to be applied to the definition of something than to reasons for it.
    So if I say Broad category it means metaphorically General and not wide, right? Iam trying to make distinction between the words General and wide since something can be general but not wide in the sense it may not be ecompassing anything and still be general

Hhh123

Hindi
    Hi Hhh123 and welcome to the forum.

Where have you heard these phrases? I'm afraid they don't sound very common or familiar.

'broad' sounds more possible, in phrases like;
    broadly, the reasons are...
    broadly-speaking the reasons are... which would both mean, generally, without being specific, without going into detail, the reasons are...

But I've never heard anyone talking about 'narrow reasons'.
    Can something be broad and not ecompass many things for suppose a broad category but can't be further divided?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Am I right if I say that a category is broad if it is a general one and can't be further divided?
    Those two characteristics -- being general, and not being capable of further division -- don't seem to go together to me. Please give us the sentence in which you think "broad category" might have this meaning.

Hhh123

Hindi
    Those two characteristics -- being general, and not being capable of further division -- don't seem to go together to me. Please give us the sentence in which you think "broad category" might have this meaning.
    Discuss broad features of kinship organizations among the Garo in north-east India. - Owlgen.com

Here when we say broad features we are mentioning that they follow matriliny. How is it a broad feature? How can one divide this feature?This is what I have been trying to ask. I dont think when we refer to the feature
    "They follow matriliny" as broad I dont see how it can be further divided.

Moderator's note:
    This post was not visible until after post #21 (by lingobingo) was submitted. All the posts between this post and post #22 were posted before this post was visible.
    Cagey,

Hhh123

Hindi
    Being divided is irrelevant. Where did that idea come from?
    Well I looked for the meaning of broad in dictionary and it said Something that covers a lot of small things.What does broad here mean? And what would narrow in the same context mean?

lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t know where you found that definition, but “small things” is also irrelevant. The word broad means wide (and, as such, capacious), so if something is broad it can encompass a large amount of something. Thus, a broad definition is one that encompasses a lot of angles/factors (is quite general in its scope), whereas a narrow definition might be restricted to one particular point.

Hhh123

Hindi
    I don’t know where you found that definition, but “small things” is also irrelevant. The word broad means wide (and, as such, capacious), so if something is broad it can encompass a large amount of something. Thus, a broad definition is one that encompasses a lot of angles/factors (is quite general in its scope), whereas a narrow definition might be restricted to one particular point.
    "They follow matriliny" if this is a broad feature of the Garo Kinship, what does it ecompass? (in referrence to the link I have posted)This kind of sentences seem too specific to me hence Iam confused as to how are they broad.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Moderator's note:
    This post (post #16) was not visible when posts #17 to 21 were posted.

Discuss broad features of kinship organizations among the Garo in north-east India. - Owlgen.com

Here when we say broad features we are mentioning that they follow matriliny. How is it a broad feature? How can one divide this feature?This is what I have been trying to ask. I dont think when we refer to the feature
    "They follow matriliny" as broad I dont see how it can be further divided
    People use 'broad' in this way when they want to refer to a general pattern without discussing the specific details or possible variations within matriliny as it is practiced in different cultures.

It doesn't have to do with the ability to 'divide' matriliny, though the details in the practice of matrilny in one culture may be different from the practice in another culture, and in that sense may be used to distinguish or divide the practice of one culture form another.

Hhh123

Hindi
    Moderator's note:
    This post (post #16) was not visible when posts #17 to 21 were posted.

People use 'broad' in this way when they want to refer to a general pattern without discussing the specific details or possible variations within matriliny as it is practiced in different cultures.

It doesn't have to do with the ability to 'divide' matriliny, though the details in the practice of matrilny in one culture may be different from the practice in another culture, and in that sense may be used to distinguish or divide the practice of one culture form another.
    When we say broad features of the american economy, we mention one of them to be its "employment". So when we refer to employment as one of the broad features. Where is the variation and how is it broad?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    In that example, 'broad' means 'widespread'. Employment is a feature that is exists throughout the economy.

Last edited:

Hhh123

Hindi
    In that example, 'broad' means widespread. Employment is a feature that is exists throughout the economy.
    When we say, one of the broad features of mars is that the density is 3.3g/cc. Here it can't be widespread nor there can be variation. So what does broad here mean?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    If the word used in the title of the article is “general,” it’s pointless to ask “What does ‘broad’ here mean?” The writer didn’t use “broad.”

If you are asking whether “broad” can be substituted for “general” in the title, I would say it can’t.

Hhh123

Hindi
    If the word used in the title of the article is “general,” it’s pointless to ask “What does ‘broad’ here mean?” The writer didn’t use “broad.”

If you are asking whether “broad” can be substituted for “general” in the title, I would say it can’t.

Here, we say that "they follow matriliny" is a broad feature of the garo kinship. Here, Garo kinship is specific and hence there can't be any variation according to me, so then how is them following matriliny a Broad feature?

< Previous | Next >