broader footprint of high-speed wireless connections

• ChuggaBOOM!!

English
    What I get out of it is just a wider range of people using high-speed wireless connections... Correct me if I'm wrong?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    This probably refers to the environmental effects (i.e. increased energy usage) of wireless connections in comparison to landlines, traditional connections using wires/cables.

ChuggaBOOM!!

English
    This probably refers to the environmental effects (i.e. increased energy usage) of wireless connections in comparison to landlines, traditional connections using wires/cables.
    Why do you think that? I don't see how "broader footprints" has anything to do with the environmental effects of it.

sunshine1111

Peru Spanish
    the broader footprint of high-speed wireless connections

I dont think that its about enviromental effects. This is about Internet and messenger.

any other idea?

bibliolept

AE, Español
    There are two "footprints" that I immediately think of in regards to hardware (three if you refer to the layout of a printed circuit): one is the actual surface area taken up by a piece of equipment and the second refers to its "ecological footprint."

In most cases, wireless technology has a reduced "physical footprint" (this is my phrasing); however, wireless communications consume more energy; this is what led me to proffer my suggestion. Whether this is true when you take into account the resources required to install, maintain, and upgrade wired vs. wireless systems is an entirely different matter.

Of course, footprint also applies to software, specifically the resources that a program requires to operate. Wireless communications might require more processing power, and I suppose you'd have to determine the actual meaning of the phrase from the context.

< Previous | Next >