brodo con seppia

Super Wombat

English Australia
I hava a "brodo con seppia" to translate into English...
Just wondering whether the seppia needs to be translated into cuttlefish or whether it is ok as is:

broth/soup with cuttlefish
broth/soup with sepia

thankyou

• oetzi

Italian, Italy
    "Sepia" refers to a color (brownish), not to the fish. Antique-looking photographs are sepia-toned.

Super Wombat

English Australia
    Thanks for reminding me... my English gets rusty every now and then!...

Is soup with cuttlefish right???
    It sounds eekling to me, but then I've been a vegetarian for almost 30 years!

Thanks Angel, we crossed replies

Flaviano Martello

English, USA
    In the US at least we sometimes say 'squid' to translate 'seppia'. 'Cuttlefish' sounds rather British to me ... :)

Often Italian dishes call for 'nero di seppia', the black ink that these animals -- whatever we call them -- produce. In that case I've seen translations like 'squid ink', or if the squid is included, 'squid in their ink'.

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    Manhattan clam chowder has clear broth, plus tomato for red color and flavor. In the 1890s, this chowder was called "Coney Island clam chowder" and "Fulton Fish Market clam chowder." The name "Manhattan clam chowder" became attached in the early 1900s. Restaurants typically serve New England or Manhattan chowder, but not both.
    Rhode Island clam chowder has clear broth. Though less popular than the other two, clear, white chowders are still served, especially at long-established New England restaurants and hotels, such as those on Block Island.
    Wiki

pane13

english/united states
    I am not native but when I read "brodo con seppia" I imagined it would be a soup with the black ink the fish produces(as flaviano also mentioned). I have had of Pizza con seppia and that was pizza with squid and the black ink that it produces.

underhouse

Italian
    A proposito di seppie volevo chiedere se c'e' un modo in inglese per distinguerle dai calamari in quanto a volte sento che i due termini vengono usati interscambiabilmente.

Siberia

UK-Wales - English
    In UK the word "calamari" is often used and people know what it means. They'll ask for a plate of "calamari" - quite fashionable at present. So you can keep the word in Italian, if you want.

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    From a bit of online research, it appears that calamari = squid, and seppie = cuttlefish. But the two cephalopods seem very similar.

The word calamari appears on Italian restaurant menus in the U.S., too. :)

Elisabetta

< Previous | Next >