broflake--there was predictable quiet from various broflakes...

What is a broflake and should you avoid them?

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2017/07/31/on-the-radar-broflake/

‘there was predictable disquiet from various broflakes on social media’

Oxford is now including the word.

It's discussed in UK Harper's Bazaar. Have any UK persons heard it? I suspect it originated in the US.

This source quoting the Urban Dictionary:

Urban Dictionary defines it as thus: "Straight male offended by any feminist or ethnic activity which is not directly designed for him."

NOTE: I see the word 'snowflake' has not made it to Collins or been discussed in WR.
It is the original for the portmanteau word, 'broflake'.

Urban Dictionary for 'snowflake':

Snowflake
A term used to describe extremist liberals that get offended by every statement and/or belief that doesn't exactly match their own. These individuals think they are just as "unique" as snowflakes, when really their feelings are just as fragile.
---

One report of first usage in The Fight Club (book, then film).

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone, and we are all part of the same compost pile," Palahniuk wrote in the book that was later turned into a popular Brad Pitt film.

Fight Club Did Not Invent Snowflake, the Alt-Right's Favorite Insult

Esquire article on early uses of 'snoflake'.

Last edited:
  • Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Well I’m not a UK person but I consume a lot of British media and I haven’t heard it. Perhaps my children have.

Loob

English UK
    This UK person hasn't heard it.

I imagine your next step is to show that it's been used in lots of BrE publications, benny?

suzi br

English / England
    I've heard snowflake A LOT - but that's because I read in the "My fitness pal" forums where it crops up in many posts, in any context where someone claims to be unique in their response to diet and fitness regimes!

I'd guess the meaning of broflake if I heard it. Interesting - in that it seems to be turning a right-winger's insult back onto them!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Urban Dictionary defines it as thus: "Straight male offended by any feminist or ethnic activity which is not directly designed for him."
    I've never heard the term in AE. If such "offended" people exist, an insult term is appropriate and (as Suzi says) this is a good reversal of "snowflake".

But it seems likely they don't exist. The fact that it is limited to "straight males" makes it far more likely that it is just a new weapon in the ongoing "straight white male bashing" that has been very popular among the political left in the last few years.

It could be a term used to attack any male that does not actively support a specific left-wing activity. Instead of just "not being interested in it" or "not supporting it", they can be accused of "being offended by it, because it doesn't help them".

Loob

English UK
    A New Year present for you, benny:

The Guardian, 29-12-2007 From feminism to broflake: the words of 2017
    For its part, Oxford Dictionaries went in a rather eccentric direction by nominating as its word of the year, after 2016’s evergreen “post-truth”, the compound noun “youthquake”. [...]

Oxford’s shortlist for words of the year was more fun than its winner, containing the splendid “broflake”. Where “snowflake” is used by rightwing (or “alt-right”) men to ridicule the sensitivities of liberals, “broflake” turns the insult back at them, when they complain about women-only screenings of Wonder Woman or the casting of a woman as the lead in Doctor Who. The year’s most prominent broflake was James Damore, the programmer who wrote the notorious “Google memo”, which begins with a whine about the scourge of a “politically correct monoculture” within his company, and then purports to offer a completely dispassionate overview of why science says that women probably aren’t very good with computers, even though it was a woman (Grace Hopper) who invented the very idea of a computer programming language, as used by tech broflakes ever since.​

< Previous | Next >