broke//interrupted//shattered my wonderful dream

< Previous | Next >

arueng

CHINESE
But, unfortunately, I was woken up by my teacher at that time and broke my wonderful dream.

Hi,
The above was written by a senior high school kid here to practice his English writing. The kid dozed off in class and later was woken up by his teacher. Is it better to revise it as the following? Thanks.

But unfortunately I was woken up by my teacher at that time, and my wonderful dream broke (up.)
But unfortunately I was woken up by my teacher at that time, and he broke/interrupted/shattered my sweet dream.

• papakapp

English - NW US
    But, unfortunately, I was woken up by my teacher at that time and broke my wonderful dream.

Hi,
    The above was written by a senior high school kid here to practice his English writing. The kid dozed off in class and later was woken up by his teacher. Is it better to revise it as the following? Thanks.

But unfortunately I was woken up by my teacher at that time, and my wonderful dream broke (up.)
    But unfortunately I was woken up by my teacher at that time, and he broke/interrupted/shattered my sweet dream.
    "Interrupted" would be most common by far.
    "Broke" could work, but the emphasis would be that the speaker is pouting about it, as a juvenile would. And it would need to be said in a juvenile tone of voice.
    "Shattered" could work as well, but the emphasis would be excessively melodramatic. And it would have to be said with excitement/astonishment.

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Papa.

Got it.
    By the way, is there anything in the sentences that doesn't sound good? Thanks again beforehand.

papakapp

English - NW US
    Thanks, Papa.

Got it.
    By the way, is there anything in the sentences that doesn't sound good? Thanks again beforehand.
    Well... I think "woken" is a real word, but we never ever say it (at least not here) so I don't know if its usage is correct or not.

**edit**
    I think it's "I have woken..." and "I was awoke..." but this is one of those things that everybody gets wrong except for the top 99.9 percentile of linguists.

Last edited:

arueng

CHINESE
    Well... I think "woken" is a real word, but we never ever say it (at least not here) so I don't know if its usage is correct or not.
    Thanks, Papa.
    Then what would you say it? Is it "woke" or "waked?"

But unfortunately I was woke/waked up by my teacher at that time, and he broke my sweet dream.

Tazzler

American English
    We could use "shatter" if "dream" referred to something you really want instead of visions you see when you're asleep.

papakapp

English - NW US
    Thanks, Papa.
    Then what would you say it? Is it "woke" or "waked?"

But unfortunately I was woke/waked up by my teacher at that time, and he broke my sweet dream.
    You can say "I have awoken" "I have awaked" "I have awakened" "I have wakened"

I have no clue why there are so many options. But like I said, 99.9% of English speakers just ignore that option all together out of fear of getting it wrong. We usually just say "I woke" and "I was woke..." even though I'm pretty sure the second one is wrong.

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, Tazzler and papa.

But it's a passive sentence--But unfortunately I was ____ by my teacher.

papakapp

English - NW US
    Thanks, Tazzler and papa.

But it's a passive sentence--But unfortunately I was ____ by my teacher.
    woken, awaken, or awakened are the correct ones [i think]

But keep in mind, we almost never do it the right way in this case.

< Previous | Next >