Brokeback Mountain - he wanted none of it, he ran full throttle

DavidCornell

China, Mandarin
The following is from the novel. What does "he wanted none of it" mean here exactly?

"Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his ***."

I can think of two possible interpretations.

1. Ennis didn't like what Jack was doing to him.
2. Ennis liked what Jack was doing.

Could someone explain it to me in some detail? like where the phrase came from and what it means exactly.

Thanks a lot.

• envie de voyager

english-canadian
    "He wanted none of it" does mean "1. Ennis didn't like what Jack was doing to him. " In fact, it means that Ennis was almost horrified by Jack's actions. Metaphorically, it is as though something repulsive is being offered, and the other person does not want any of what is being offered.

Loob

English UK
    Hi David

"Wanted none of it" is an emphatic version of "didn't want [any of] it".

DavidCornell

China, Mandarin
    Thanks to everyone for the responses.

So maybe the two sentences (the "ran full-throttle" and the "wanted none of it" parts) are contrastive. So if we replace the "and" in between with "but" ("but he wanted none of it"), the meaning should be the same?

I guess I don't quite understand the "ran full-throttle" part either. Does it just mean that Ennis is masculine, or does it mean that he does things with energy and force? If it means the latter, then "wanted none of it" means "he didn't run full-throttle here now", and that is why I said the two sentences could be contrastive.

Hi David

"Wanted none of it" is an emphatic version of "didn't want [any of] it".

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    "Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his ***."

The whole sentence means that Ennis tried as hard as he could at whatever task he was working on, BUT, he didn't want to try what Jack had in mind.

The word "but" could replace "and" in the original sentence to make the meaning more clear.

DavidCornell

China, Mandarin
    merci beaucoup! This is exactly what I needed. I like your explanation.

The whole sentence means that Ennis tried as hard as he could at whatever task he was working on, BUT, he didn't want to try what Jack had in mind.

The word "but" could replace "and" in the original sentence to make the meaning more clear.

< Previous | Next >