Broken down by + noun (+s?)

< Previous | Next >

diegol81

Spanish
Hi all,

I would appreciate any inputs on the following.

I think it's correct to say eg "Broken down by country". In this case, "country" takes the singular form.

But what if I want to say "Broken down by countries other than Spanish-speaking countries"? Is it correct to use the plural form here?
"Broken down by country other than Spanish-speaking countries" sounds odd to me.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Diego

• pob14

American English
    I'm trying to picture why I would ever say "broken down by countries other than Spanish-speaking countries." Can you help me with some context here?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think it's correct to say eg "Broken down by country". In this case, "country" takes the singular form.

But what if I want to say "Broken down by countries other than Spanish-speaking countries"? Is it correct to use the plural form here?
    "Broken down by country other than Spanish-speaking countries" sounds odd to me.
    The plural form seems incorrect to me. I would use "broken down by country" (singular), but I see pob has asked about some context, so I'll wait to say more.

diegol81

Spanish
    I'm trying to picture why I would ever say "broken down by countries other than Spanish-speaking countries." Can you help me with some context here?
    You mean, you would say "broken down by non-Spanish-speaking countries" instead?

Actually, what I posted is some dummified text which I thought as representative for the purpose of understanding the grammar and to avoid unnecessary technicalities, but maybe it wasn't the best dumbed-down text. Oh well, here we go.

Context
    In the context of European insurance law, there are a number of segments companies have to segment their liabilities into. These segments are called "Lines of Business" (LoBs). These LoBs are further classified into Life LoBs and Non-Life LoBs.
    There is a subset of the Life LoBs regarded as "Health SLT LoBs", where SLT stands for "Similar-to-Life Techniques", meaning "pursued on a technical basis similar to that of life insurance"; so there are a total of 8 Life LoBs, out of which 3 are Health SLT.
    Likewise, there is a subset of the Non-Life LoBs regarded as "Health NSLT LoBs" or "Health non-SLT", where NSLT stands for "Non Similar-to-Life Techniques" with an analog meaning to SLT.

Problem
    Liability figures in a reporting template have to be broken down into the 5 Life LoBs which are not Health SLT. As I am describing the inputs to the template (actually translating the description from Spanish into English), what I have so far is:

"Value of liabilities, broken down by Life LoBs other than Health SLT LoBs".

Due to the fact that there exist "Health NSLT" LoBs pertaining to the Non-Life LoBs it would be, if not misleading, at least confusing/awkward, to use:

"Liabilities, broken down by non-Health SLT Life LoB".

So I am trying to stick to the former form, but am usure as to whether it should be "Life LoBs other than Health SLT LoBs" or "Life LoB ...".

I can consider myself very lucky if you followed up to this point. :)

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >