broncopulmonar - doctor

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by junglist, Aug 4, 2013.

  1. junglist Senior Member

    Córdoba, Spain
    English - England
    Hi all,

    I am translating a document in which one doctor is described in a table of a list of doctors and the specialty as a "Broncopulmonar". How would you translate this into English? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

  2. Bill Osler

    Bill Osler Senior Member

    North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    My dictionaries do not include that word used as a noun, but judging from this page ( it appears that it refers to pulmonary medicine or pulmonology.
    The RAE listing tends to confirm that.
    It appears that pulmonology would be the corresponding specialty in English.

    Also, on review of the page at the listings for the doctors there includes their areas of interest. The specialists in "broncopulmonar adultos" list interests in asthma, COPD, allergy, sleep medicine, respiratory illnesses and so on. That would fit with the English label "pulmonology".
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  3. EvanWilliams

    EvanWilliams Senior Member

    North Texas- US of A
    Pulmonologist is what we call them, correctly or not, in the hospital.
    Pulmonary medicine is indeed their specialty. A subspecialty of internal medicine
  4. junglist Senior Member

    Córdoba, Spain
    English - England
    That's a great help. Thanks very much to both of you!

Share This Page