Brot - pronunciation

pentagon

English/USA
Sorry for writing in English, I do not know enough German yet.

I am having a very hard time pronouncing words like Brot, Rot, Reis, etc... I can't quite match the 'r' sound and I've been trying for days. Is this something that comes with practice or is it possible I will never pronounce it correctly? Are there any tricks/tips for learning these sounds?

Danke!

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Sorry for writing in English, I do not know enough German yet.

I am having a very hard time pronouncing words like Brot, Rot, Reis, etc... I can't quite match the 'r' sound and I've been trying for days. Is this something that comes with practice or is it possible I will never pronounce it correctly? Are there any tricks/tips for learning these sounds?

Danke!
    I can't really help you other than to maybe find other sounds you've made before in your life. Do you do a good French accent? The "R" in "Francais" is similar to it. All I can tell you is that it's a back of the tongue up against the back of the mouth motion. It might even involve putting the back of your tongue up against the back of the soft palate. Knowing the motions and practice can get you there, but you'll most likely never sound like a native.

pentagon

English/USA
    Listen to the first two examples of this Go to
    • Konsonanten
    • Artikulationsart
    • Frikative
    • /ʁ/
    Thanks, yea I did that already. I understand what needs to be done to produce the sound...it just doesn't happen for me. my R keeps sounds more like a growl than anything. :(

pentagon

English/USA
    thanks, should have searched for that to begin with :)

So are there any American English Natives here that had a hard time pronouncing certain German sounds? How long did it take you before you could pronounce it correctly, if ever?

< Previous | Next >