bubble away


Senior Member

I am watching "The Great British Bake off" and there is a line that I don't understand.
In a scene, one of the participants is talking about her pie.
And the participant says,

"I think once you've got all the fat bubbling away, the thin bits of pastry do tend to split which will make it leak."

What does "once you've got all the fat bubbling away" mean?
Does ”bubble away” mean ”melt”?
Would someone explain please?

Thank you!
  • Archilochus

    Senior Member
    American English
    "bubble" here means the fat is heated up to the point where bubbles are forming (think boiling water). As Mr. Bradford says, "away" = "continuously".
    Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >