buck the trend

KYC

Mandarin
Hi there:
I am not clear the usage of " buck the trend".
I looked it up in a dictionary.
It says:If you buck the trend, you obtain different results from others in the same area.
,which eludes me.
So may I say:
Even the global recession , the company still bucks the trend.
Could you verify it for me?
Thanks a lot!

• Judica

AE (US), Spanish (LatAm)
    buck the trend: resist or oppose something that seems inevitable. To do the opposite of what is expected.

Even in the global recession, the company still does well despite other companies failing.

KYC

Mandarin
    It says:If you buck the trend, you obtain different results from others in the same area.
    buck the trend: resist or oppose something that seems inevitable. To do the opposite of what is expected.
    Thanks for Judica's correction.
    Still,I wonder how to use it .
    Could you give me a sentence of the phrase?
    Thanks a lot!

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks for your input.
    Walmart shares continue to "buck the" market trend.
    I wonder if I can say
    Although it's global recession , the company still bucks the trend.
    (I would like to say the company still makes a lot of money.)

Could you verify it for me?
    Thanks very much.

Last edited:

El escoces

English - UK
    I wonder if I can say
    Although it's global recession , the company still bucks the trend.
    (I would like to say the company still makes a lot of money.)
    Although there is a global recession...the company is still performing well in contrast to all of its competitors: i.e. it is bucking a discernible trend.

For me, your use of "still" requires use of the present continuous tense: the company is still bucking the trend.

Now, another small problem. I don't read "global recession" as a trend. What "trend" is this company bucking? The trend which sees other companies performing badly. So, for me, the sentence would be better as follows:

Despite its competitors faring [i.e. doing] disastrously in the current global recession, this company is bucking the trend...[then you might go on to explain how, e.g. because turnover or profits are up, because its share price has remained stable, or whatever]

Packard

USA, English
    I believe that "buck" is a rodeo metaphor (or ranching metaphor).

A rider would attempt to ride a bull or wild horse. The animal would try to unseat the rider by "bucking". When the rider falls from the animal he has been "bucked".

So bucking a trend would be to "unseat" the trend and be free of it.

This is all educated supposition on my part, but I have always understood this to be the derivation.

KYC

Mandarin
    Thanks for your input, Packard.
    The derivation you said also helps me .
    I am clear.
    Thanks!

< Previous | Next >