bucket adjustments

< Previous | Next >

Aidanriley

English
It is a busy period for us in Finance. The Australian Accounting Team is preparing the final numbers for year-end, including bucket adjustments. We are also working on the quarterly consolidation deliverables and statutory account preparation for audit review.

Does anyone know what bucket means here? It's from a financial report written in Australian English.

• EStjarn

Spanish
    I believe it would be helpful if we knew the line of business the financial reports refer to. A Google Web sweep suggests that especially in banking, the concept of 'time buckets' is common. Here's an example of its use in a bank blog article:
    "Gap is the difference between the amount of assets and liabilities on which interest rates are reset during any particular bucket of time."
    This is from a previous thread:
    [Request] "Please help, I have a Management Meeting to attend and among the issues to discuss are Time buckets and Interest rate buckets. These sound to be Finance jargon but I have to understand them." [Reply] "Since you have not given us a sentence, I can only suggest that "buckets" here may be used in the sense of grouping or category. Daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or 0-30 days, 31-60 days, 60-90 days, 90+days, etc. each being a "bucket" depending upon context."
    Regarding interest rate buckets, the thread links to another from which I quote:

I agree with carrickp "buckets" is an accounting term refering to sub categories within the interest rate scheme. For example if your interest rates range from 4% to 8% depending on the credit wortheness and risk of the loan the buckets could be 4% to 5% , 5.1 % to 6% ,6.1% to 7% and 7.1% to 8%. "Buckets can be applied to any thing that can be subdivided."

< Previous | Next >