buckle down

diegoclegane

Mandarin-China
I understand 'buckle up' and I can see the move people act: pull up seat belt and fasten it. And to 'buckle down' I only know that it is to start working very hard and don't know why. Could you please explain the move 'buckle down' to me?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us a sentence that uses "buckle down" in the sense you mean, diegoclegane. I take it you're not asking about the "start working very hard" meaning. Where have you seen it used in another sense?

diegoclegane

Mandarin-China
    Here is a sentence from the game 'Lifeline':

"The crater's opposite side is in sight. I'm gonna buckle down, grit my teeth, and keep my way on over there."

I know the meanning of 'buckle down' as I have post on #1. I just wonder if 'buckle up' is to fasten seat belt, then 'buckle down' is to unfasten seat belt? Seems not make sense.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    You know, buckles have existed much longer than car seat belts, so you should not assume these phrases are directly related to car safety.

"Buckle down to work" may be a use of the verb to buckle which means to bend (we still use that when a wheel goes out of shape, it is buckled).

I can't access the OED but the etymonline site suggests it might be from buckling on armour in the late Middle ages linked to "preparing to do something".

I cannot be more precise than to offer these two suggestions.

< Previous | Next >